SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bishop8_gw

Venting question -- direct vent = lower CFM requirement?

bishop8
13 years ago

Hello --

I've been researching my vent hood options and am afraid I'm getting caught up in the 'CFM' wars of various vendors.

We're going to be installing a vent over a 36" induction cooktop. The cooktop/vent will be against an outside wall, so I can vent directly straight back; I plan to use an under cabinet vent. We'll do some stirfry and the occasional deep frying, but don't do any blackening/searing of that sort.

I was actually looking at the VentaHood PRH6-K/SLH6-K units, which allow direct rear venting (can't tell the difference between the two), but they only put out 250CFM. Given that I can do a direct vent, is it reasonable to assume that I don't need a high-CFM unit? Any other recommendations? From what I've researched, it seems like I would ideally prefer baffle filters so that I can just clean them in the dishwasher.

It'd be nice if I could capture odours from the wall oven as well (30" wall oven and speed oven stack directly across the galley kitchen, about 6-7' away), but I was looking into the Gaggenau - with their catalytic converter - so that may not be as necessary.

Sorry, this post may be a bit long-winded. One thing I've learned while reading GW, though, is the more details you provide, the better advice everyone can give. :)

Comments (14)