SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

heating / cooling basement

andrelaplume2
15 years ago

We currently have an unfinished basement, maybe 1000 sq feet. Soon the heat pump annd ac will be upgraded. I thought of having vents added in the basement but was told it would not really raise the temp much doing that alone. The propper thing would be to add a zone and duct work rather than relying on punching a few vents into existing duct work...which might even rob the rest of the house of heat/air. It got pretty expensive to 'do the right thing' though. To be honest, summers are not trouble as it really does ot get above 65 degrees down there and 65 alway feels good in the summer. Winters probably average 62 but in extreme cold might go to 55 degrees. We need something to take the edge off. I figure if I finsh off maybe 750 sq feet into 2 'rooms' and insulate, I'd likly pick up a few degrees in the winter. Still we would need something to take the chill off. That leaves punching in a few ducts and keeping our fingers crossed (minimal expense) or or perhaps having a few baseboards wired in. The baseboards are inexpensive themselves but I am concerned with what they cost to run. They would only be used when the kids go down there and it would only have to raise the temp at worst from 55 to 68 and most times from 60 to 68...once insulated, maybe less. Whta do you think?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional