SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miesenbacher

An Old Seed Company Is Back

miesenbacher
14 years ago

Gleckler Seedmen is an old respected retailer of tomato seeds that fell to the wayside and was brought back to life last year by the founders son with a limited selection of toms. This year he has expanded his tomato selections with some very interesting and hard to get varieties. Worth a look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gleckler Seedmen

Comments (29)

• carolyn137
    14 years ago

Actually the founders grandson, not son, is the person who has restarted the company and Ami beat me to it in terms of linking to Gleckler's here.( smile) But I have linked to it at some other message sites b/c Ami and I and many others feel it's noteworthy to recognize and hopefully support Adam Gleckler in his new venture of extending his family's involvement in the seed business.

I know you'll find many rare tomato varieties there that you won't find elsewhere so take a look. I don't know if Adam has had a chance to change it yet, but on the Home page at the left side are the color classes for the tomato varieties but one can only see the gold/red bicolors and orange ones after clicking on the reds and I think the green when ripes where there's a separate place to access those two classes of tomatoes.

When I first got interested in heirloom tomatoes and heirloom varieties for all else back in the early 80's the only two places I knew of where one could buy seeds for heirloom veggies and fruits was Gleckler's which was started in the 40's, and Jan Blum's fabulous company, now defunct.

Later in the 80's I became aware of SSE and also in the late 80's TGS and SESE brought out their first catalogs.

So if it weren't initially for Gleckler's and Blum's and also SSE ( for SSE members only) , who laid the groundwork for the public to be able to buy OP seeds, we wouldn't have all the many places we have today where one can buy some wonderful tomato varieties as well as varieties of a wide range of other vegetable and fruits.

Carolyn

• mtbigfigh
    14 years ago

mbacher
    Yes, Carolyn and I were talking about this a little over a week ago - see below - do you have any seed lists???

Posted by carolyn137 z4/5 NY (My Page) on Sun, Dec 13, 09 at 6:54

Another place to look soon is Glecklers Seedmen which is a revival of one of the first places that one could get heirloom seed from, going back to the late 40's and one of the places I first got heirloom tomato seed from in the mid-80's, and the grandson of the first owner is doing this and his mentor is his father who ran the business until 1994. There will be lots and lots of now hard to get tomato varieties there when he gets the website updated.

Carolyn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RE: Ashleigh tomato seed source - anyone?? clip this post email this post what is this?
    see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by mtbigfigh 10 (My Page) on Sun, Dec 13, 09 at 12:40

Carolyn
    Glad to hear Gleckers is going to be back - and still in the family - used to get seed there too - good news - seen any of the "lists" yet?

• Related Discussions

American Seed Company Seeds at Dollar Tree

Q

Comments (7)
    Not as cheap as the dollar tree, but not advertised (at least in my local store!) I was in rite aid today and the spring isle was under construction and the seed rack was placed way back just as you enter the isle, so I nearly missed it! and in fact did miss it yesterday when I was in there, it took the eagle eyes of a 4 year old to see it! the seeds are a unmarked brand on the front and priced at 99c, on the back it says they are a product of the ferry-morse seed company, well I am a sucker for buying seeds and thought why not? brought 2 packets on paying found they where actually ringing up at 20c? I pointed it out, but the girl said, no thats what we are selling them at, it wasn't marked on the display and the display was possitivly heaving with seed packets, presumably because it not yet been advertised? hope this helps people who missed out on the dollar tree, like me! not quite as good a deal but more choice (at the moment)
    ...See More

Has anyone used 'American Seed' company's seeds?

Q

Comments (22)
    I bought American Seed orange Tithonia/Mexican Sunflower seeds but the description and planting instructions are for Sunflower Solar Power F1. So now I have seedlings that need to be transplanted, but I don't know if I"ll be getting the orange Tithonia I had hoped for in my color palette or more sunflowers that I don't want or maybe something else entirely.
    ...See More

Territorial Seed Company/USDA Seeds

Q

Comments (5)
    Mary, Just to let you know, I'm currently in the process of trying to contact a particular person with the USDA re access to USDA seeds. A person who has posted in the Main Forum has said that anyone can request seeds, but that is not my understanding at all, nor that of others who have gotten back letters saying it is closed to all but professional breeders as is also now stated at the Home Page. And as Craig and others have said, almost all the "good" stuff is out of the USDA tomato listings by now anyway. The majority of listings, well over 95%, were old breeding lines that have been in there forever. Since Territorial said they aren't planning on doing any hybridizing, it leaves me wondering, and assuming that they got out what they wanted early last year before is was closed to all but professional breeders. And I do hope they checked the listings for USDA varieties in the SSE Yearbooks re what they might have wanted, and also to be sure that duplicate offerings/requestings were/ are not being made. But I'll just assume that was done before they made their requests. So basically what you're saying is that Territorial plans to offer more USDA varieties in the future, the same as Mike Dunton at Victory Seed has been doing in the past few years and plans on continuing to do with the varieties he already has or that Craig or I or others might send him. Right? In other words, older commercial varieties since the USDA is not a repository of heirloom varieties. I think of all that I got out in the early 90's just one was a so called heirloom, and that's Drushba, aka Druzba, which I already had from elsewhere but got it to compare with what I knew as Druzba. Carolyn
    ...See More

Seeds: how old is TOO old?

Q

Comments (18)
    You can test seed viability by putting them on a paper towel then covering them with another. Use a spray bottle to keep towels moist. Btw. There are numerous on line seed companies that will deliver to your door. You should consider ordering ASAP to get what you want, especially now.
    ...See More
  • jtcm05
    14 years ago

Geez...Respected?! You would think that anyone interested in some amount of respect and credibility would proofread things for spelling errors, accuracy, etc., before putting up a business site like that. Those blurbs are loaded with them. Now here's what that tells me....

If they take so little care in knowing and describing the varieties they are selling, what makes you think they take any sort of care or professionalism in the seed saving process? Now I realize that having seed grow untrue is part of the territory, but I want to reduce the possibility of that as much as possible and that means buying from reputable sources.

I know many of the blurbs have already been corrected but, I mean, who would characterize Lucky Cross as producing abundantly? Not to mention that I don't believe "Mr. Prue" ever lived in Maryland. Brad's black heart doesn't look like 2 oz round red fruit as pictured in the blurb photo. Cherokee purple is NOT PL and certainly has never produced a one pound fruit for me. Coyote fruit are yellow, not white. Yellow submarine is not late. And those are only the ones I'm familiar with. I just don't get it.

• trudi_d
    14 years ago

I'll bet my bottom dollar that they didn't grow those seeds themselves JT and instead bought bulk stock for repacking. So whatever is in the packets is the same as whatever is in the packets at all the other tomato companies.

JT you can choose to help them or harangue them--that's your choice. If you see errors send a friendly email--the internet is much smaller than you think, being helpful and friendly always works out for the better.

The website is a templates so it was fast to put together--I can understand the rush to get the site up because of the amount of competition.

As long as they're fixing the blurbs then they have a chance at success, if they left them in place it would be a different story and a sign of profit over product. But when you launch a seed endeavor the product needs to come first or your burnt toast soon enough.

I'm hoping that they'll add bulk prices to their list otherwise I have no reason to do business with them.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Decent prices and minimal shipping costs. Sure worth a try. Ordered their Peron Sprayless and German Head for a try. And they have Goose Creek that I know many here have asked for in the past.

Dave

• carolyn137
    14 years ago

Yes John, Adam grew all the plants and produced all the seeds. For the majority of varieties listed there are no bulk amounts sold elsewhere, and for many of them they aren't available elsewhere anyway except for SSE members through the SSE Yearbook.

And yes, there were several errors and those are being corrected by the individuals who donated the seeds to Adam and others who are reading thru the listings.

I just looked and many of the errors were fixed last night and I'm sure all of them will be fixed with time.

Almost all of the tomato varieties featured are new to Adam, since as I said above, they last put out a catalog in 1994.The website template they have was not done by them.

There's discussion ongoing as to Cherokee Purple as to whether it was Spudakee that was sent or Cherokee Purple Potato Leaf ( Jere Gettle) or CP RL, or what and that will be solved as well.

Almost all the tomato seeds were donated to Adam by members at another message site and there's a thread there where folks are giving feedback and where Adam is reading and taking down the errors and fixing them as they appear.

And correct, Mr Prue was from MA and not from MD.

I have yet to go thru each variety myself but hope to get that done today. And as folks who donated seeds see the thread at the other site I know they too will check out the varieties they contributed. As for myself I certainly haven't grown all of the varieties listed but do know their basic traits but it's the folks who donated specific varieties that are the best source in terms of critiquing.

The aim was to list varieties that in many cases were hard to get elsewhere.

So how about we give Adam and his wife a bit of slack until all the errors are fixed.

There are many folks at different message sites who are delighted to find Gleckler's back in business and the experience working with seeds is there since Adam's father, who last ran the business until 1994, is his mentor and always available with advice and support. And his father has been a consultant to several other places in recent years, re seeds, seed purity, etc., but we all know that no retail place that sells OP seed has a perfect record.

Thanks for your understanding folks. And yes, there was a push to get the website up as quickly as possible considering it's the seed buying season now, and yes, it still needs tweaking, and that will be done.

We're looking just at the tomatoes but there are lots of other seeds that are being sold as well so there were acres of crops to tend to and save seeds from whether it was peppers or squash or tomatoes or whatever.

Carolyn

• greyghost
    14 years ago

A lot of thanks to Carolyn and Ami/Misenbacher and others
    at *********** for supplying Adam Gleckler will seed to
    start a new inventory. Really, really nice varieties!!!
    Was just waiting to order Danko from Victory and it's not
    offered this year! Found it as well as some of the newer
    hard to find varieties at Gleckler. Check it out-very nice
    site-still being updated. Nice oxheart varieties, too.
    (Adam did admit he's a very poor speller!)

• lubadub
    14 years ago

Just out of curiosity I am wondering how a seed company such as this continues to generate seeds over the years. I know lots of companies buy the seeds they sell from different sources or farm out the production of their seeds. Apparently this company was given their startup seeds but then what? Might they grow their own or do they farm it out to friends or seed producers or do they buy in bulk from outside sources?

• trudi_d
    14 years ago

It will probably be a combination of all three--much like how the WinterSown.Org tomato seedbank works. Some are grown here, some are donated and some are bought as bulk, the only difference is that as a non-profit I don't sell seeds but share freely.

• carolyn137
    14 years ago

Marv, in this case I'm pretty sure they will continue to grow their own plants and save their own seeds for restocking. They have aces and acres of good Ohio soil and in the past when Adam's father was running the business he offered several pages worth of tomatoes, I never counted, but maybe close to about 100 varieties or so, and all was done at the farm.

Glenn at Sandhill lists about 400 tomato varieties and produces seed for almost all of them, while working a full time teaching job but has help in the summer, but he does subcontract out for a few varieties. And since he sells no tomato seed over two years old, which is also comforting and rather unique in the business, that means one heck of a lot of growouts each year.

Baker Creek grows some of their varieties and subcontracts out for some and at least in the past has also bought some in bulk from a wholsaler .

Linda at TGS subcontracts out a lot of her OP seed, that I know and at different times has worked with different subcontractors until she found one she could work with reliably.

So it does differ from company to company as to how many produce their own seeds, how many subcontact out, how many buy bulk from Seeds by Design ( major wholesaler) or SSE who also sell bulk seeds, and how many do a combination of the above.

Carolyn

• br33
    14 years ago

Thanks Ted and Carolyn for bring this info to this and the other web.
    Thanks Trudi for being understanding with a new seed business. I wish everyone would judge as they would like to be judged and then be helpful and supportive of a business that will benefit all O P tomato groweres. Thanks and GOD BLESS

• instar8
    14 years ago

Cool! I had just read of (and lusted after)the Peron Sprayless in one of the catalogues that came today, and here's the family who developed it! Good Luck to 'em!

• miesenbacher
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, the Cherokee Purple PL is Spudakee Purple and the name will be changed as Spud (Bill Malin) had given his permision to use such if anybody is interested on 1 April this year. Adam evidently didn't receive or misplaced my e-mail concerning the permission. I have resent Spuds PM to Adam Gleckler. Ami

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Got a nice email from Adam today - very upbeat and appreciative - and 1 day turnaround shipping of my order too. Sure can't find that level of service at some of the other places. ;)

Dave

• carolyn137
    14 years ago

For those interested Adam has now added Heidi and Indian Stripe, and I guess there are still others to come as he determines the seed count for the remaining varieties to see if he feels comfortable listing some varieties not there now.

It's hard to predict how many will order seeds and which ones when you start out with a new website so seed counts are important.

And he does expect to offer some varieties in bulk rather than individual packages.

Carolyn

• ballonbb
    14 years ago

Thank you very much for information. I want to buy "Indian Stripe" and searched the seeds company on Google and Ebay in past few weeks. However, the seed company who has this variety is unwilling to ship seeds to HK. Now, I can find it from Gleckler Seedmen and they ship seeds to worldwide. I have just placed an order today. I ordered 7 varieties of tomato seeds today. ^_^

Indian Stripe
    Lucky Cross
    Gary O Sena
    Heidi
    Peron sprayless
    German Head
    Pineapple

• Bets
    14 years ago

On December 20th I placed an order with Glackler's for a lot of varieties and got them in the mail yesterday! Outstanding service!

Merry Christmas everyone! (Pies in the oven now....)

Bets

• miesenbacher
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, Gleckler's does ship worldwide except where restrictions prevail ie our friends down under. I ordered seed from them last year and no problem receiving them in Germany. Ami

• miesenbacher
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"I'll bet my bottom dollar that they didn't grow those seeds themselves JT and instead bought bulk stock for repacking. So whatever is in the packets is the same as whatever is in the packets at all the other tomato companies." Quote from 5th post.

Isn't it nice when people jump up and run there mouth on speculation alone without even checking the facts! And then they don't have the decency to admit they were wrong. Ami

• carolyn137
    14 years ago

Ami, aside from what I know talking with Adam about his growing all his own tomato plants and processing all his own tomato seed as I noted in a post above, the fact that he does so is noted on the Gleckler Home Page, that you linked to in your first post, where he says that all the seed is from home grown plants.

Carolyn

• trudi_d
    14 years ago

Ami,

My post (#five) was a reply to #4--figure it out from there.

I didn't even know then that people were donating to Gleckler's seeds to open up shop until I read it here. I don't post at that "other board", so I woudn't know what they do write there.

However, if the business grows it might be hard to meet an enlarged demand without purchased bulk stock--and there's nothing wrong with that. If you think there's something wrong with purchasing and repacking bulk stock then that's on you--because that's how most large seed companies do business, there's no stigma attached to it because it's an industry norm. My assumption is that Glecklers will become big as they once were in yesteryear, and that would be grand.

T, who feels very uncomortable at selling any stock donated to her, but instead shares it freely.

• mtbigfigh
    14 years ago

trudi d
    I think that your "I'll bet my bottom dollar that they didn't grow those seeds themselves JT and instead bought bulk stock for repacking. So whatever is in the packets is the same as whatever is in the packets at all the other tomato companies." was what appeared to be your words as it was not said or mentioned like that is post #4 or #3 or #2 or #1 - I thought you were also "bad mouthing" Glecklers as did Ami

what Adam did was get seeds from "old" friends of Glecklers with as best he knew good seed stock - he grew those on the many acres of Ohio land and then began selling from those - grown by him - and yes he is getting seed from others ie donations etc to develope seed stock, hence only a few varieties so far However as Glecklers had done in the past and according to Carolyn will do in the future is to grow and provide his own seed -

this was a great seed house in it's day and many of us are glad to see Adam take over where his grandfather and dad were when they closed shop 14+ years ago

wouldn't mind seeing Tom Wagner and tater mater show back up on the scene too!!!!

• trudi_d
    14 years ago

You can read in what you want but it wasn't my thought, especially with the website--which is a difficult endeavor to start--I actually defended him against JT, but I guess you didn't notice that or bother to include it in your rebuke. So, what's up with that? Eh?

• miesenbacher
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"I actually defended him against JT". Yes you did trudi. Unfortunately your first paragraph set the tone for the rest of your post. And after reading it, who would want to read on! It was not only offensive to me and others, but an affront to the Gleckler's. And now your going to tell me you didn't go to the Gleckler site before making your initial post, I don't think so. Ami

• aka_strawberrygoat
    14 years ago

hey, I'm a total novice to growing tomatoes and I got it right, reading the posts, replies, arguments and the ones in defense of the others...
    alright already.....
    who the hell cares where the seeds came from..if there will be viable seeds, true to the name of them?
    when you start a business, you need inventory and if there is help during the process, so much the better.

I never heard of that company before or now, until I just read this post.
    and if a grandson wants to revitalize his family company, then I'll order seeds.
    I'm non confrontational...I just want a juicy, colorful, tasty and homegrown tomato.
    up until recently, I only got tomatoes from the grocery store, until this last summer, when I grew a few heirlooms from starts my cousin gave me...
    I never even knew there was such a difference in taste...

way back when, I was dogged, cuz my favorite tomato was a little yellow pear...someone thought I was either brain dead or had no taste..ok, I lived through that hit of insult.
    then, I grew my first Cherokee Purple tomatoes..
    ok, he was right..
    there ARE better tomatoes out there..I learned..
    so, in defense of all who want to see this company grow and thrive, I, as a former, total idiot, new to tomato growing, will do what I can, to order, grow and then post my lessons in growing tomatoes from seeds.....from this new company..and others..and accept traded seeds, as well....

as of now, I don't consider myself a total novice or idiot any longer!

and proper spelling doesn't make a good seed grow!

Becky, in zone 8...PNW

• colokid
    14 years ago

Well said Becky. Get their seeds from any honest source. The important thing is how carfull they are. What really tics me off is The discriptions, right or wrong, that they copy from each other and re-print over and over. I am new to tomatoes, about 3 years, and when I research a tomato I come up with wrong info. Some don't even know if det. or indet. Lucky if they even get the color right.
    Example, what does a cherokee purple really look like?
    ***proper spelling doesn't make a good seed grow!*** I like that.
    Must be a long, cold winter, I will forgive other's temper if you will forgive mine. KennyP

• trudi_d
    14 years ago

Ami, you're issues are your own.

I am in the position of providing tomato (and other) seeds to the public and worthwhile organizations; my sources are either grown here, or donated home grown and commercial stock as well as purchased commercial stock. I've also built a successful website and know from personal experience that spelling errors or a broken link aren't going to sink the ship--corrections are made as they're found. So good luck to Glecker's, and I'm very sincere because I know what it takes to survive building a site and growing and maintaining a site clientele. It's not easy.

So, you can think whatever you want about anyone you want, but it doesn't change what I think or will do or will continue to do. And just so you know, over the years I've come to value criticism because it creates curiosity--people google WinterSown and they take a look and see for themselves what it's all about.

Here is a link that might be useful: Your Choice

• jtcm05
    14 years ago

Defending a site from opinions? What exactly does that mean? This has gotten comical. As if I cared what excuses turdi and carolyn want to make or what opinions they have. Forgive me if I don't get all sentimental and nostalgic because it used to be an old site. Bottom line is its a business. Its ridiculous to put up a site and expect it to look somewhat professional when the blurbs spelling is on an elementary school level. Especially when it could have been delayed a couple more days for proofreading. Not to mention the inaccuracy of all the blurbs. Kinda funny though how anything that ms. name-dropper takes under her wing seems to get the nod from all her disciples. Same thing with mrs know-it-all i guess.

But alas...I guess I'm just a flaming a*****e after all. At least I'm not a hypocrite as it appears to be a prerequisite to own some of the other forums at other sites. (smile)

• mtbigfigh
    14 years ago

jtcm05
    we are not sentimental because it was an old site - but one that was a family business that provided an excellent service to tomato growers for years and ended up for whatever reason ( certainly not incorrect seeds or spelling or pictures attached to wrong tomatoes) but instead more like what is effecting many families today - the economy -
    now if my wife had proof read the site the spelling would have been right on - but she would have mixed up the pictures probably - she has taught school for many years resource and can teach gifted - my daughter teaches and is gifted but can't spell her way out of a paper bag - uses spell check - sometimes I typo but don't check - not important to me -

what we did miss was a very good company that provided seeds resposibly and with great service - someone you can count on - unlike many mentioned as bad today -

I think that maybe Adam was just trying to get up and running probably too soon but if he is anything like his Grandfather and dad will be building a company again that we have missed for 15 or more years - let's see how he does and then make judgement
    from some of the response looks like he is off to a good start at getting orders out promptly - yes we will have to see the results of the grow out - but I can wait

I think there was just a lot of us that mis-interpreted trudi d's initial statement and we were defending Adam - of course as trudi d later said she didn't have all the facts - she is forgiven - just read what you say before you send - my wife used to read critcal letters before I would send - seems I had a way of upsetting the apple cart

I think we need to think more about next season and move on

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus