SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hae0823_gw

Anything to watch out for in renting an apt in a house?

17 years ago

I have always rented an apartment in an apartment complex or a condo managed by companies (rather than individual landlords), and this is the first time I am considering to rent an apartment in a private house. I am curious what I should be aware of and what kind of questions I should ask the landlord?

I've seen the place, it's nice, although I would love the bedroom to have hardwood instead of carpet. (Do you think I can ask if the landlord is willing to do that?)

The thing that scares me is that the landlord is a recent first-time home owner and this is his first time renting the place to anybody. (He has not moved into the house yet, he said he will be living in the house and doing some renovations.) He is still not sure how everything works in the house and he wants the utilities to be split (I would pay like 1/3 of all utilities). I am single and I leave the apartment at 8am and come home around 9pm. Do you think this is fair? He seemed like a real nice person but I don't want to assume anything based on first impression.

Any advice on how I should proceed with the situation? And are there anything else I should be concerned for?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH