SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jayh_gw

Sump Pump advice

jayh
17 years ago

My sump pump that came with the house I bought died from this noreaster monday. We had a power outage and by the time my power came back, my non-submersible pedestal sump pump (A Flotec PM3600D) was underwater and not functioning So I borrowed a submersible pool pump and pumped out all the water (A lot!! ran for 12+ hours though itÂs a small flow pump) Anyway, I need to replace it but would like to find a submersible pump. Basement is unfinished and I already plan for water so no big deal, no real damage or anything which is why I donÂt think I need to go with the battery backup DC sump pump. Unfortunately, looking at all the submersible pumps with an auto float valve, they donÂt seem to move a lot of water per pump cycle. My pedestal sump pumps sits in a sump well about 15" wide and a good 20" or so deep and it moves a lot of water per cycle. IÂm afraid during heavy water seepage, a submersible sump pump would almost be running constantly, however, IÂve yet to find a submersible pedestal sump pump....

Do you know of any? Is the reason they donÂt make a submersible pedestal pump because of overheating? One can assume that the submersibles being underwater could use the naturally cold rainwater as a cooling source cause obviously it canÂt be vented to the air? The pedestal sumps are air cooled...which makes them not submersibleÂ

Is there a submersible pump that can pump a large volume and from a large sump well??? Should I be concerned about this?

Also, I am fairly certain that my Flotec 3600D is 1 1/4" NPT female thread as I measured it and it has about a roughly 1.5" outer diameterÂ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_pipe_thread

Seems to indicate that a 1.5" NPT is about 1.90" outer diamter and that is not the case..

My output tube is a 1 1/2" PVC piping connected to a fixed PVC line through my foundation connected via a rubber hose clamp. I would assume that if I was to buy a 1 1/2" NPT sump pump I could get a converter and run it that way, IÂm not concerned at all for loss of flow or anything.

Jay

Comments (6)