SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naturegirl_2007

Campbell's Help Grow Your Soup Update

I grew one plant from seed received by the local FFA through the Help Grow Your Soup offer. They received seed labeled as CDX 179. The plant I received had been started late and then the weather turned cool and rainy. Eventually it did set fruit and then my tomatoes were hit by late blight. I nursed this one along hoping to see the fruit. Finally, I was able to harvest two tomatoes from the plant. It died soon after from late blight. I don't consider this a problem with the variety since this plant lived with late blight symptoms and even grew some while most of my other plants died. (Not a great year for tomatoes.) Here's a few photos of the harvest.

Tomatoes on a Corelle dinner plate (upside down)

From October 2009

Tomato cut in half

From October 2009

Hope I never see this on tomatoes again

From October 2009

Yes, only one tomato made it through without late blight lesions. Boo. Fortunately, I had other varieties that went in earlier and were harvested before the blight hit so I did make some chili....just not with Campbell's tomatoes. The Campbell's tomato tasted good. I'm not sure how much the taste was affected by all the stress the plant went through. I hope to grow a few plants next year from the seeds I received this year. I'll start mine earlier and hope for a warmer and drier growing season.

At one time I considered trying to grow these in a real tomato soup can. It didn't happen this year. Maybe I'll play around with that next year if I can buy a giant sized can of tomato soup. This year's plant never grew very large so it just might work :)

Any reports from others who grew seeds received through the free offer?

Comments (2)