SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
retiredprof

Free Tomato Seeds from Campbell's

retiredprof
15 years ago

Folks: I just received a message from my local Freecycle discussion board I thought I would pass on. Capmbell's is giving away free tomato seeds and donating seeds to community projects as well. Check out this link:

http://www.helpgrowyoursoup.com/

You'll see you need a code to request seeds. here are some codes:

Chicken Noodle - Code 1: P5 Code 2: 25

Cream of Chicken - Code 1: P5 Code 2: 03

Bean with Bacon - Code 1: EST4C Code 2: 29

Beef with Vegetables - Code 1: EST4C Code 2: 11

A great way to add to your seed collection and help others at the same time!

Prof

Comments (52)

• kwselke
    15 years ago

I used the Beef with Vegetable code without any problem. I even received an email confirmation.

• crabbcat
    15 years ago

Got mine with my can of Chicken noodle in the cupboard. Thanks!!

• Related Discussions

help to donate tomato seeds

Q

Comments (4)
    Here is another thread about it over at The Tomato Forum. Free Tomato Seeds from Campbell's Here is a clickable link to the site. Free Campbells's Tomato seeds Sue
    ...See More

free Campbells soup tomato seed

Q

Comments (7)
    LOL! Yeah, mine never got planted, either. By the time I received them my own seedlings were almost ready for transplanting, so I didn't start them. They have been in cool storage, tho, and waiting for February to WS. I've made tomato soup out of my own harvested fruit tho, every bit as good as the big C's, IMHO. : )
    ...See More

have: free tomato & pepper seed - send sase!

Q

Comments (13)
    Hi I'm Elaine from Ontario zone 4/5 would like some of both the tomato and pepper seeds sweet peppers please &thankyou my email is laine@i-zoom.net for you to send your addy please.I have a bubble pack waiting to send to you Thanks again for the great offer if your want list has anything I have I will send them on.May all your Weeds be Wildflowers.
    ...See More

Those Campbell's tomato seeds offered last year...

Q

Comments (7)
    My plant was grown from a large pack of seed given to the local FFA students by Campbell. My guess is they were the same as ones sent to individuals but I don't really know that. It was a small plant, determinate as I remember. I've linked to my fall report on the plant and fruit. We had a very disappointing year for tomatoes in 2009. Here's Campbells description of the CXD 179 variety from their fact sheet: "Description CXD 179 has become a standard for mid-season production with high solids, medium viscosity, and very good color. Yields are consistently outstanding and the fruit is firm. The medium size plant covers well. Plant Characteristics: Season / Maturity Mid 118 days Plant Type Medium Disease Resistance VFFN EFS - Fruit Characteristics: Shape Square Shoulder Uniform Joint J+ Grams 80 BRIX High Viscosity Medium Color High Use P Here is a link that might be useful: Grow Your Own Soup update
    ...See More
  • ljpother
    15 years ago

This offer is only available to US residents.

• kwselke
    15 years ago

There is also a limit of one offer per household. Oh yes, thank you Prof.

• aagardener
    15 years ago

Just entered the code off some cans I bought, just have to wait now.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    15 years ago

Thanks! Got mine from a Cream of Mushroom can.

Cindy

• robeb
    15 years ago

Just curious...What varieties are they sending out?

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    15 years ago

Doesn't say what varieties anywhere I can see. Somehow it seemed wrong to request tomato seeds with a bean soup code :) I may go buy a can of tomato soup just so I can grow a seedling in that. Kinda cute, even if a bit impractical. I'm not sure how well the root ball would slide out of a can. Guess I'll have to give it a try and find out.

Thanks for the info about this. It seems like alot of groups are beginning to encourage gardening lately.

• weetoots
    15 years ago

I just used the code P5 25 as was posted plus that is what is on all my cans in the case.
    Great soup, Chicken Noodle with habanero sauce. Great offer.

• mulio
    15 years ago

let the marketing to my mailbox begin!

• sada
    15 years ago

I have always loved Campbell's both for their products & as a company. They are known for their quality control on vegies &, of course, the R & D they put into their tomato varieties. Good employer, excellent products, fair prices - an ideal American company.
    I'm clicking daily at their site until their goal for their donation is met. I hope their seed gets here for this year (next month) otherwise I'll just use it next. Bet it will be an awesome determinate canner....
    Anyway, I don't cook with Campbell's soups that much but I sure do keep a few cans in the cupboard for those times... funny how some of my old favorites can't be located down here - Pepper Pot, Scotch Broth...

• simmran1
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info professor. I signed up.
    Have you received or do you know what varieties they will be sending? Do you think they are mostly Campbell's 1327?

• kiddo_1
    15 years ago

I have just received my Campbell tomato seeds (and the pack included a $1.00 off coupon when purchasing 5 cans of soups).

Does anyone know what KIND of tomato these are? Are these ACE? or if not, determinate? Paste? Hybrid? OP? What to expect in size, etc.? The pack says "minimum of 25 seeds" and there were 28 inside. This is surprisingly generous so have lots to share. I am going to WS 6-10 in a jug today.

Anyone else get their's yet?
    Kris (mmm-mmm seeds!)

• earthworm73
    15 years ago

Nope still waiting. How long did it take you to get yours Kris?

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    15 years ago

My seed package arrived this past weekend.

It does not say what variety they might be.

Cindy

• crabbcat
    15 years ago

Got mine today, it says they have cultivated their own seeds "campbells" for 70 years. It also says they use only "their brand of seeds" I'm going to try a few.

• marymilkweed
    15 years ago

I got mine here in Florida today! Thanks again for the heads-up on the offer. No mention of the type of variety but I will plant mine for Fall, too late for our Spring.

• kwselke
    15 years ago

I find it ironic that the $1 off coupon, on the purchase of five cans of soup, they sent with the tomato seeds is not valid for tomato soup.

• crabbcat
    15 years ago

Just a Quick search of their site says they started growing tomatoes from these seeds back in the 30's in NJ and people used to follow the trucks to pick up the fallen "Jersey Tomatoes" sound familliar?

• containerted
    15 years ago

Got mine in today's mail. It's the "Soup" variety.

Ted

• mizadventure
    15 years ago

I just signed up today. Our best tomato season isn't until fall so I should have plenty of time. I can't wait to hear how they do from all of you who just received them. Campbell's is a great company. They are always raising money for schools and kids.

• robeb
    15 years ago

* Posted by containerted 7b NE of Atlanta, G (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 8, 09 at 16:14
    "Got mine in today's mail. It's the "Soup" variety. Ted"

Good one Ted.

• warrenff5
    15 years ago

I found a website that sells a Campbell's variety. I am not sure if it is the same.

I also ordered some, of course, it will probably be too late, but I will plant one seedling, just to get a few off of it...

Here is a link that might be useful: Campbell 1327 Tomato

• kiddo_1
    15 years ago

Hi earthworm. I think I went to the website on the 14th and signed up for the seeds. So a little over 3 weeks for delivery. Not too bad for a giveaway.
    Kris

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    15 years ago

Received mine today. No variety listed. I have a Campbell variety already started so maybe I'll grow these side by side and see if they match up with the others. From the photos in the mailer it looks like this variety can be grown in a soup can and produce ripe tomatoes when it has 7 leaves. Looks like some of the 'maters grow right out of the middle of the leaf :) I'll have to give it a try. Gonna buy one of the large size cans of tomato soup tomorrow and start the experiment.

On a more serious note, I'm expecting a determinate plant with tomatoes best suited to cooking. I'll be watching carefully to see how it compares to the Campbell's 1327 variety I have already started. Always fun to get some more tomato seeds. Thanks for the alert to this offer, and thanks to Campbell.

• lilacs_of_may
    15 years ago

I used the codes from the chicken noodle, and that seemed to work just fine.

• bencjedi
    15 years ago

Got mine yesterday too! I'll germinate them next year. I am short on yard space and too many tomato plants I am growing already have priority on that real estate. Thanks to the poster and Campbell's!

• containerted
    15 years ago

Someone of another forum called and talked to the Campbell's folks. After many questions, they were able to determine that the seeds are a type of Roma and are a Hybrid. So,........

I've decided to call mine the

"Campbell's Free Soup de Roma Un-named Small Red Hybrid"

variety.

Tongue in cheek, Ted

• west_texas_peg
    15 years ago

Received my seeds yesterday, too.

Campbell's sells their hybrid tomato and pepper seeds (link below)...would love to have some of sweet pepper seeds.

Don't forget to go back and click daily to help them with their goal for seeds for the FFA.

Peggy

Here is a link that might be useful: Campbell's seeds Tomato and Peppers

• mockapple
    15 years ago

The only official word I've found about the origin of the seeds is in a news release from Campbell's. containerted is right, it is the Soup variety.

"For the first time in its more-than-100-year history, Campbell Soup Company (NYSE:CPB) is making available to the American public specially cultivated seeds used to grow tomatoes for its iconic CampbellÂs® Tomato soup. The effort is part of CampbellÂs goal to grow more than one billion tomatoes across the country and to support American agriculture..."

So they're apparently a variety never before released to the public, and used to make Campbell's tomato soup. That's all they want to tell us I guess. I got mine yesterday and decided to go ahead and try it this season. Hm, a mystery!

Here is a link that might be useful: Campell's free seeds news release

• bwillie
    15 years ago

Has anyone gotten their Campbell seeds to sprout ?

I received and sowed mine a couple of weeks ago.
    So far, none (as in zero) have germinated.
    When the first set failed to germinate,
    I attempted a second set, and encountered the same results - nada.

So, the track record so far is 0 out of 16 seeds have germinated. I don't think it is my methodology or my growing medium because all of my other tomato seeds (40 of them) have germinated.

I'm interested in feedback from others.
    Is anyone else having difficulties getting their Campbell seeds to germinate ?

• daylilyfanatic4
    15 years ago

Well mine didn't germinate but neither did any of the seeds I planted howeverneither did anyseeds in that batch which was using the same method that got 80% germination before so maybe it was just the angel of the sun three thursdays before I planted LOL. :D

dLF

• corin99
    15 years ago

Mine didn't germinate either. I used the same method that I used with my other tomato seeds, so I think there's a problem with them. Oh well..I didn't really have any space for them anyway.

• johnnygarden
    15 years ago

I had 1 out of 10 seeds germinate and that one germination is a loser.

• slo_garden
    15 years ago

It seems like this was a good intentioned, yet poorly executed idea on the part of Campbells. I emailed them trying to get some basic information on the tomatoes (deter. or indeter., DTM, etc.) and got a nonsensical email response. I tried responding to that email and rephrasing my question and the response from Campbells was that perhaps something was wrong with my Internet browser (LOL!). Now, it sounds like the mystery tomatoes don't even germinate anyway. Oh well!

• jessicavanderhoff
    15 years ago

Mine didn't germinate either. I didn't keep the pellet wet enough though.

• earthworm73
    15 years ago

Sounds like Campbell's had alot of bad seeds on their hands and thought of slick way to get rid of them...give 'em away to the public (us). I haven't even received me yet so I am not sweating it. Way to go Campbells.

• tazebell
    15 years ago

Finally got mine. 25 unnamed seeds in a Campbell's soup envelope.

• suze9
    15 years ago

I saw this post by dreaves in the beginner veg forum over at DG, just passing that info along.

"I did a little research with Campbell's and the FFA and found the cultivar for the free tomatoes. I posted the information on the Tomato forum, but just in case you don't follow that forum, Here's the info:

The cultivar in the free seeds program is Campbells CXD 179. It is a determinate variety used for commercial production.

The CXD 179 is described as, "a standard for mid-season production with high solids, medium viscosity, and very good color. Yields are consistently outstanding and the fruit is firm. The medium size plant covers well. "

Disease resistance: VFFN
    Shape: Square
    Size: 80 grams
    Brix: high

Apparently this is an excellent paste tomato...but both the Campbell's and FFA responses include that it is good eaten fresh as well."

• greenhouser2
    15 years ago

retiredprof 7: I don't see anything at that URL for free seeds. ????

• midnightgardener
    15 years ago

I still have not received mine and ordered them over a month ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Post a tomato diary here

• indy76km
    15 years ago

I sowed 3 or 4 seeds and was able to get 2 of them to sprout but they were very slow to sprout. I will report back with their progress in a few weeks.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    15 years ago

Greenhouser2:

I just went there now, and they are still offering seeds, so maybe you're not seeing the link. When the website comes up, on the right is a little Campbell's seed packet that says: "Get yours now" Click on that, and up will come fill-in blanks to put in the codes.

Carla in Sac

• rick2752
    15 years ago

0 for 12 on my campbells seed. They must have been cleaning house of leftover seed......

• missingtheobvious
    14 years ago

Campbell's now says "We're just 9456 clicks away from our goal."

The funny thing is, earlier this week it was still 150,000+.

Because I received my Campbell's seeds so late (and other RL stuff), I saved them for next year. My assumption is that everyone's abysmal germination rate was related to the packaging being inadequate to withstand crushing by postal equipment. Surely this promoation has not been good PR for the company.

• homegardener2009
    14 years ago

I got my seeds in a timely manner. However, I couldn't find them when I was growing my seedlings. I guess I didn't make much of an effort to find them, also, as there was no information on the packet whatsoever as to what kind of tomotoes they were, or how many days until maturity, etc. I finally did find them, though, and plan on trying them next year.

• makeshiftgarden_nyc
    14 years ago

@missingtheobvious I thought the same thing! But it looks like they changed the amount that they are donating per click so it makes sense that the number of clicks would go down. I just got my seeds - time to plant!

• johnnygarden
    14 years ago

the one seed that germinated out of ten has finally grown to about 12 inches. It will be transplanted out into the garden, today.

• gardendawgie
    14 years ago

I just used the code P5 25 Chicken Noodle

It worked.

Said it will take up to 8 weeks to get the seeds. But no rush now. I will not use them until next year. They have plenty of more seeds.

• missingtheobvious
    14 years ago

Campbell's finally got their 22.5 million tomatoes donated.

Now the graphic grows to a large vine -- no, wait -- it's growing in a tomato soup can, so it's a 10" dwarf with a spindly 1/8" stem, tiny leaves, and currant-sized fruit. No dicots -- the first leaves grow at the top of the plant, and the stem elongates at soil level, with new leaves added at the bottom of the plant....

All that we've seen before. But now blossoms appear magically on the leaf stems -- yes, you read correctly: no fruit trusses, blossoms growing on the leaf stems. Giant blossoms, much larger than the 5/8" fruit, which lack stems and seem to hover in mid-air....

Well, why are we surprised? We're tomato lovers. We know the plant is magical....

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.helpgrowyoursoup.com/