SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
micheline_smith

updated layout could use your help to optimize

Micheline Smith
12 years ago

Hello again!

After many helpful suggestions on a previously posted layout my husband and I have kept plugging away and have an arrangement for the major elements (fridge, stove and sink) that we really like and can see working very well for our lifestyle. Now we would like to plan out all the bells and whistles, because while I can kick a garbage can all over the floor and do dishes by hand while not on my hands and knees searching the deep corners of a cabinet for my last vanilla bean I would rather not!

This is the best I could do with the Ikea planner(and my limited patience) but it gives a decent representation of the direction we would like to go.

Here is what we have so far. Scale is 1square= 6" and we are very open to moving things a few inches this way or that as needed to make the kitchen really functional, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

And a bit of an elevation for the window wall.

To the left of the stove (on perpendicular wall) we have planned a shallow but wide and tall spice rack and the same thing between the windows above sink. I have tried to show the crown molding and platter storage I would like above these racks and above the windows. I haven't added drawers etc because I could use help below the counter. I will use all the space available to me but strictly speaking I need a 30" cabinet for pots and pyrex etc, 15" cabinet for plastic stuff, 9" space for cookie sheets and pizza pans, and some place for the gallon jars of flour, oats etc I keep for baking (took up the bottom shelf of a lazy susan in our old house but looking for an alternative to the corner toy that my kids loved so much!).

On the fridge wall we would like to use the space to the right of the fridge for a beverage center with our coffee maker etc and would like it to look like a hutch and buffet (Allison has a black one in her French Gray Kitchen that has inspired me). And we have chosen the Samsung RF197 counter depth french door fridge.

What I foresee happening in the new kitchen would be that I would drag out all of the stuff I need to make supper and dump it on the counter to the left of the fridge, then wash things and proceed to do my slicing and dicing in between the sink and stove. I have drawn in an island, but it would be either a table or other movable workspace- nothing permanent.

So, if anyone is still reading this ramble and has some ideas for me I would be ever grateful! Thanks.

Comments (17)

• remodelfla
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Does code in your area allow a window above a range? How do you plan venting?

• Micheline Smith
    Original Author
    12 years ago

As long as it is not a gas range there is no code issue here. We plan to do without a vent or look into a downdraft, but generally didn't use the last hood we had so will probably just ignore it!

• Related Discussions

Optimal new kitchen layout = moving main drain line??

Q

Comments (2)
    With a basement moving the drain line is no big deal, but it depends upon which code your under and where the current vent is located... In a worst case scenario we may have to get a little creative in establishing a vent, but rest assured your project is doable.
    ...See More

I could use some layout help.

Q

Comments (90)
    Well, I was going to splurge and have someone do the backsplash for me... I got the first quote back. If I supply the tile, they will supply the thinset, grout and sealer. 27 sq feet for the low price of $850.00. That seemed a little high to me... Thinking of beveled edge over sized subway tile for most of it with an accent piece behind the cook top. This is what I am thinking for the accent... Thoughts??
    ...See More

Update on our layout from your suggestions and ideas

Q

Comments (5)
    Thank you for your opinions. I have posted a new thread since I am not sure if we posted too many pictures that nobody is interested in going through all of them. Please see the [new thread[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2-layouts-to-go-need-advice-on-which-ones-dsvw-vd~5366191) with only two images of the layout we are leaning towards... Again much appreciation for your help.
    ...See More

I need help with layout on owner’s closet to optimize storage/ space

Q

Comments (2)
    Go to https://www.containerstore.com/custom-closets. They will custom design a closet for you. No need to buy anything, but it will help you decide how to proceed. You can always buy a portion of what is designed and incorporate your own dresser or your own shoe storage. When Storables was in business years ago, we had several ”sit downs” with their designer in order to get our new master closet just right for us.
    ...See More
  • chicagoans
    12 years ago

I'm having a hard time figuring out your diagram with the 1 square = 6". Do you mean the big squares made up for 5x5 small squares, or the small squares are 6"? Because if the first, then everything seems really small (like a 12" stove); if the latter, then everything seems really big (like a 60" stove.) Maybe 1 small square = 3"?

In any case, the sink positioned at the corner of the bay window seems awkward to me. I'd rather see a main sink centered on the window, range on the ref wall and the ref moved down to the end of that run, and then a prep sink on the island. Hopefully that will also allow proper ventilation for your cooktop.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Well, everyone has different ideas of what they want in the kitchen...but I would switch the fridge and range. You have very little prep space on the left side of the range, but nice prep space, on each side of the fridge.

I like the idea of the hutch/buffet, like Allison has in her kitchen...but could you do this, next to the range? It would be such a better layout and if you could put a smaller (still bay) window over the sink area, move the sink over to the left a bit, have the dishwasher on the left, trash on the right...and put the fridge at the end (all the way to the left) of that counter.

If you don't like this layout, that's fine...but maybe try it out and see what you think.

What are your plans for the island? Extra prep space, do you plan to add a prep sink? Maybe an overhang for stools? Do you see drawers or open shelves...or more cabinets? If I had the space, I'd love to have something like those old metal flour and sugar containers, built right into the island. That would be nice, but I love to bake! :)

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Hmmmm... you're gonna suffer GW wrath for no ventilation. Not from me, you guys can do what works for you. BUt many people have strong feelings about that. I will say that I never had a real hood before and thought twice before I got one. Now I adore it and would never have a kitchen without one. Back to your layout... have you tried this with a corner sink? I feel your layout screams out for that. Then I'd move your frig more toward the right.

• Micheline Smith
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ugh- it seems I have been looking at this toooooooo long.

1 square = 3 inches (just going with a 30" stove!)- thanks for setting me straight chicagoans! We had considered having the stove and fridge where you have suggested but it all but eliminates upper storage in the kitchen, and this way I get to look out the window during the vast majority of my time in the kitchen. And as awkward as it looks on paper, when I actually stand "at the sink" I like it. And the light coming in the window onto my main prep space (between sink and stove) will be great. I think anyway!

lavendar lass- I need to keep the width of the bay window as is because they are "windows in a bay" as opposed to a bay window so I think I need to keep the fridge close to the proposed location. But I do agree there is more prep space by the fridge location. Hopefully I can convince hubby and kids so they will use it and leave me alone in my second rate space! I typically do all of my work between the sink and stove though so I was trying to make that a decent size. Even when I had 8ft of uninterrupted space on a peninsula on the left of the stove in our last house I only used it to dish up the cooked food, so I thought I could use the island cart for that purpose and then have it available for cutting out fabric when I am not doing forced labour as a cook! I do share your love of baking and would adore those bins, but I think just a huge rolling cart with drawers and a shelf underneath is where we plan to start. I am not ruling out a bin or two in the future though....

remodelfla- the sink is one of those funny wing things in the corner right now and we had considered just angling off the counter and putting in a regular sink, until my Mom came at Christmas and I saw what people were saying about a corner sink and 2 people. I love her but truly the dishes do not need to be started when someone is trying to clean vegetables for supper.... So I thought that because she will be coming back and I don't want a prep sink it might be better to get the sink out of the corner. This was my last attempt before I quit (but bmorepanic did draw in a cool addition to the island that I never did say thanks for...). I thought that the revised plan gave me enough space to prepare a meal while also leaving that other counter to the right of the fridge for others to utilize. The main components are still in the same order though, so this would still qualify as a shuffle in my mind. Should I reconsider this sink in the corner layout?

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I just think it' a better use of space. I see all that glorious counter real estate essentially wasted to the right of the sink in the first iteration on this thread. don't get frustrated... it took me approx. 100 layouts (literally, I"m not kidding) to get it right.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Far- Do you already have this big bay, in place?

Also, I like the last plan (corner sink) just make sure you use a little spacer, between the corner cabinet and the dishwasher, so you don't hit yourself in the shins, when you open it.

This new plan would work even better, with a prep sink on the island...down by the range. That would give you your two work spaces and keep clean up away from prep. Also make it much easier to use your island, as a prep space. Just an idea :)

• Micheline Smith
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gee, 100. Guess I have a couple of dozen yet to go. Hope y'all are more patient than my hubs (and the kitchen guy I had over the other day- he couldn't understand why I didn't think having two 30" passages out from behind a kitchen island wouldn't work for me...maybe my claustrophobia kicking in!)

The bay is in place, an inherited feature. Love the light- could use a bit more wall space... Noted about the DW. Right now it would be a tripping hazard because it would be right behind my heels if it wasn't already in the dump. And a prep sink does sound useful- especially when Mom visits! The room below the kitchen is completely open so we thought we would get the perimeter taken care of then tackle the island...

• bmorepanic
    12 years ago

I think I only did about 12-15 plans this last time but that was only because I'd done the kitchen before and that time had many iterations.

Other than commiseration, will agree with maybe slowing down. Believe me, I know how hard that is when you're looking at unfinished space. This might be a time to think in basic terms.

Cooking --> Prep --> Food Storage
    Tool storage --> Prep or Cooking
    Water --> Cleanup
    Water --> Prep
    Prep --> Trash and/or compost
    Cleanup --> Trash
    Cooking --> Drainage
    Cleanup --> Dish Storage
    Cleaning products --> Cleanup
    And in your case, Storage of dirties --> Cleanup --> storage of drying dishes
    etc.

So, maybe some rethinking about how stuff works together. I like doing conceptual diagrams and then do physical layout that mirrors the conceptual as best I can. But any form of looking at it with new eyes will do.

• babs711
    12 years ago

I haven't really sat and stared for a long time but the first thing I noticed was the fridge being the focal point on that right wall. It's a personal thing, but I've never liked fridges as focal points. They're not attractive, so why put them in the center of a wall to be focused on? Putting them to the side is usually functionally better and looks better as well. But as I scrolled down, it seems you changed the flanking cabinetry to a pantry on the right? I have to run and will look longer later. But that was the first thing that jumped out at me other than the lack of venting.

The lack of venting is something I'd NEVER have again. In our last house we had an OTR microwave which recirculated. Often you could smell dinner from the night before the next night. It drove me NUTS. Never, ever again. I'm a firm believer in adequate venting.

• momo7
    12 years ago

I really shouldn't say anything because I still don't have a GW approved layout but I would really, really hate not havng ventilation for my range. For the first time ever I don't have anything, instead I have cabinets 18" above my range which must be against code. When I cook, and maybe it's just me, it's a mess. I won't tell you about the cabinets because you aren't going to have them but I think your window might get steamy and greasy. I find even the floor in front of my range gets greasy not to mention cooking smells that just linger forever. I'm not sure what you already have so maybe this doesn't apply to you.

Have you tried the range in the corner? I'm not sure how it would work with the windows there but if later you put a prep sink in your island, I think it would be functional. Then you could centre that sink on your huge window.

Although that big window makes your layout challenging, it must be beautiful.

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

Not only are you going to have a very hard time cleaning the counter behind the range and sink in the bay (from counter edge front to back, I calculate 46.5" with 1.5" counter overhang) but it's going to be tricky opening the side windows (place the crank for casement windows as close to front counter edge as possible) and it will be impossible to open the center window (can't recall if this was a functioning window or now).

Is there a reason why you aren't still considering the plan that had the sink and DW inset into the bay, ala one of your inspiration pics, with range and fridge on the side wall?

(I never used to think it was a big deal to not have proper ventilation until we went from a range hood to a pop-up downdraft. After 17+ years of living with it, I can't wait to get better functioning venting when we remodel. I made a curry lentil soup the other day. While I enjoyed the aroma of onions, garlic, curry, cumin and garam masala sauteing in butter, I wasn't happy that I could still smell it the next day. If you haven't cooked without ventilation before, you may not realize what you'd be giving up if you don't include it in your remodel.)

• francoise47
    12 years ago

If I were designing a new kitchen I would want a good vent hood over the range.
    I normally do not like sinks or ranges in the corner.
    But with your constraints,
    I would consider putting the range and a good vent hood in the corner.
    I would slide the fridge far to the right all the way to the end of the run.
    I would probably ditch the full height pantry -- although I'm sure you would love that storage.
    I would center the sink under the big bay window.
    this suggested plan gives you plenty of space to work to the right of the stove
    and plenty of space to work to the left of the stove between the stove and the sink.
    The area to the left of the sink should house the dishwasher and serve as the clean up area.

See this picture from as an example of a corner range
    (pay no attention to the fire hazard curtains near the range):

{{gwi:1619122}}

• Micheline Smith
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I really appreciate the time everyone has taken to give suggestions- please keep them coming! The first layout I had posted above (I will call it Plan A) was done after my husband and I thought about how we cook and use the space. (Is this what you were suggesting for me to do bmore?).

This is the basic information we had used to come up with Plan A:
    -I only use a space about 24" wide when I prep for a meal, even with abundant space around. I like to be within a step or two of the sink and I like to be between the sink and stove- preferably on a straight piece of counter. I do not like to carry pots of water over "land" to drain them and I only want 1 sink (for now!).
    -We lived in our last house for 5 years and were told it still smelled new after we moved out, so I am certain cooking smells will not be an issue, because there was just a recirculating OTR MW there.
    -I would like to keep the fridge less visible when entering the house from the front door (babs711, I agree that fridges are on the verge of ugly and I tried to eliminate a large one entirely but people here talked some sense into me!) so moving it closer to the bay window wall will accomplish that. This also gives us room for our Saeco coffeemaker to reside (I owe it that much since I almost wore it out making hot water to warm up bottles when the boys were babies!) and maybe keep my husband in the area to the right of the fridge while I am trying to prepare meals! And any further away from the bay window wall and it seemed like any island we put in would be a barrier within the magic triangle.
    -We pretended there were no windows to deal with and put in the sink and stove where they made sense to us and then realized that it might actually be a functional layout for us. A little asymmetrical but not as awkward IRL as it definitely looks on paper. And I get to chop things up in front of the window (which momo7 is right about- it is really nice especially because of the direction it faces). 70% of the time prepping...
    -Cleaning the counter will be a challenge but as Bart might say "I'll wash my s(h)elf with a rag on a stick". The window in the middle is stationary and we are even considering the sides being fixed glass since we would still have 2 more opening windows in the kitchen.
    -We were also originally determined to put something in that corner because it does seem logical in our setup, but again my husband really thinks it is a pain to have the sink there now. We had considered swapping out the funny sink for a regular one and rigging a counter top to see what it would be like that way. I think we could do something pretty quickly to assess real life function. Some things are hard to imagine.

lisa_a- my husband requested straightening the counter because we mocked it up and it just seemed pointy and disjointed. I had to agree with him.

Not trying to convince anyone except myself with so much detail, but just putting out there all the thoughts we have had during this process. Thanks again everyone!

• User
    12 years ago

There isn't much to like about your proposed layout. It violates about a dozen NKBA guidelines and would not be a place I'd enjoy working in. Much less cleaning in! Grease on glass that you can't reach and that shows to the street is an absolute deal breaker for that layout.

Another Idea
    {{gwi:1619124}}

This is one of those spaces that can't have it all without adding in a bit of a wall. Do that, and it all can work and you can have ventilation for you range (a MUST unless you want stale greasy furnishings) and you can even have a full sized fridge. The mobile cart can strategically direct traffic away from the cook towards the fridge, or it can roll to the center of the room to provide room for an additional kitchen butt.

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

Also, other than your sink base and maybe a narrow cab somewhere for cookie sheets, make the rest of your lower cabs drawers...more practical.