SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_b_in_wy

Working on the 2010 List

mrs.b_in_wy
14 years ago

There's more than a foot of snow on the garden, so I'm working on next year's tomato list.

Pretty much every tomato we grow either goes to friends or becomes some sort of sauce. We're tomato-handicapped in that neither of us cares to eat them fresh (though we use lots of cooked tomatoes). A couple years ago, I swore I'd teach us better ways and grew cherries. Not only couldn't we get past the taste, but I made some truly hideous sauce from a massive load of Yellow Pears and Black Pearls.

Anyway, I'm tentatively hoping to grow the following varieties in 2010. All but the San Marzano are completely new to us.

Arkansas Traveler

Banjan Roomii

Bloody Butcher

Caspian Pink

Cherokee Purple

Murhurlu

Oxheart

Rio Fuego

Rutgers

San Marzano

Super Marmande

We should have room for a couple more kinds. I've narrowed the list down quite a bit to the five below. It is so tough to do!

Costoluto Genovese

Opalka

Polish Linguisa

San Marzano Redorta

Zapotec Pleated

We tend to favor a deep red sauce. We like sweet for Italian cooking, but I have to take it easy since sweet doesn't go over so well here for things like enchilada sauce.

I tried the roasting method for sauce this year and am very pleased with the results. No more worries about juicier tomatoes making thin, runny sauce when I don't have hours to cook it down. I'm still working on the seed issue, though, as they tend to get through my grandmother's Foley-type mill.

So, what do people think? Any obvious holes in the first list that could be plugged with a variety from the second list? Is there something on the first list I should skip all together? Other suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments (18)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES