SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
desperaterenter

Moving - Opinions on SD Return, Etc

desperaterenter
15 years ago

I'm finally moving out from under the Elephant People, as soon as my temp assignment ends in June. Do I have a new place lined up? No, and I'm moving out of state to boot. Do I know how it'll happen or how to afford it when it does? Nope, not a clue. Security has taken a backseat to sanity. I'll live in a tree to get away from them.

Anyway, I'd like some advice on the following, even if a poster only wants to comment on one part of my long, euphoric post. :o) First, the damage to my apartment. In December, I had two pipes burst, and the guy had to cut a huge hole in the drywall in my kitchen. We concluded that it probably got too cold on that side because they switched to monitor heat a few years ago, and the heater is all the way across the apartment. So they were going to wait out the cold weather and put a vent in the wall so it wouldn't happen again (rather than re-drywall). Of course, that never happened, just like they never painted over the brown water stains from when Elephant Man's terrace leaked onto my ceiling and walls, or fixed the blistered paint from when their terrace leaked onto my window frame.

Anyhoo, I'm naive enough to believe they won't blame me for those things, but I'm wondering about the spackling I've done. They paint every time someone new moves in. Now, there were several dents in my wall when I got here that had obviously been there a while, as they were all painted over. I felt like being useful and spackled them up. Now I'm wondering if I should buy a small can of paint and dab some on. I can't imagine why they'd try to deduct from my deposit for paint when they're going to paint anyway . . . but I've heard worse stories here on the boards.

My father says they expect nail holes and whatnot (I've only ever used Hercules Hooks, the best thing since sliced bread, and I'll be spackling those, too), and they'll probably be thrilled to not need to spackle themselves. I'd hate to buy even a $15 can of paint for nothing . . . opinions? Moonshadow?

Should I mention in my "quitting these premises" letter that I'm moving due to the noise? I don't want to tick them off and risk a bad reference, but they have a right to know why they keep losing tenants, don't they?

Also, every landlord I've ever had, I needed to push and shove to get them to do the final inspection with me present. Isn't that standard?

I'm sick of this happening all the time, so I'd like to know how to combat it. Whenever I move in somewhere, there are things I don't think to note on the damage report because I either don't notice (sometimes you don't notice scratches on the tile until you go to scrub it, for example), or because it seems incredibly nitpicky. Then when I've lived with it a while, it seems really noticeable. Is it appropriate to send a letter soon after signing the damage report indicating that there's some minor damage to such-and-such that you didn't see right away, or are you kind of out of luck?

Furthermore, for the final few days or however long I'm still the tenant but with all my stuff moved out, I'm willing to hire noisy children, anyone who plays drums or sings opera, or even someone who's just willing to lie on the floor and kick the wall for a few hours to come over and . . . well, say goodbye to the Elephant People for me. :o)

Comments (3)

Sponsored