SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lorifromutah

Opinions before I make a move (job related)

LorifromUtah
15 years ago

My boss has quit the center/library and is moving in a few weeks. Instead of hiring one person to do three jobs (center director/cook/librarian) the commission opened two jobs. I am the librarian. Another woman (a good one she is!) is the new director and cook. The center has two part timers to clean and deliver food. One of these women is off on leave for knee surgery. Of the group I am the only one who lives in Randolph where the center/library is located.

In the past the building is rented out occasionally on Sunday for various family events, such as blessing a baby or the return/farewell for a missionary. The job of opening and closing the center has belonged to my old boss, the center director.

Now, however, a church group has rented the building each Sunday for three hours. The old director seems to think I should do this at no pay even though she was paid when she opened and closed.

Before I make any moves or say anything to the commissioners or the new center director I want your opinions. I do not know if the old director has spoken to the commissioners about the situation. I assume she has.

Here is my position: If the building was used on Sunday only occasionally I would not expect to be paid to open and close. However, three hours every Sunday is big chunk of my weekend time with my family.

Logically the county, in my opinion, should pay me for three hours not just for my time but my trouble. Example: Last Sunday my family went to Idaho to check our cows. I could not go because I had to open and close the building.

Two weekends ago I had company. I had to leave them twice to open then to close the building.

Today Custer is haying. I was helping. I had to leave the hay field at the ranch, come home and open the building. With the price of gas/fuel as it is, it's not worth it to drive back to the ranch (a sixteen mile round trip) work for awhile then come back to town. If I did not have the building to take care of I could swath til dark and beyond if I needed to.

At the very least, in my mind, this is worth two hours of pay; preferably three hours.

What do you think?

Pros and cons, please.

The actual time spent opening/closing/turning on-turning off lights is not much; maybe twenty minutes. It's the three hours I am tied up that has me concerned.

So?

What do you think?

Free or get paid?

Lori

Comments (25)