SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jackwu_gw

dicuss about Minimizing Damage To Oil Paintings

jackwu
17 years ago

If you¡¯ve spent a lot of money just to acquire priceless oil paintings, you¡¯re certainly entitled to be just a wee bit obsessed when it comes to caring, cleaning and minimizing damage to your oil paintings. In this article, we¡¯ve listed three points to ponder to minimize damage to oil paintings.

Framing ¨C I know, I know, the selection of frames to keep your oil paintings should purely be based on its aesthetic value but really, it shan¡¯t be the case if you want to minimize damage to your oil paintings. If your oil painting is done on fabrics, it¡¯s probable that a wooden frame is used to encase it. A wooden frame is also called a stretcher or trainer, by the way. Although there seems to be no harm done caused by wooden frames, you might want to change your opinion later on during extreme temperature changes.

How do these happen? Moisture is easily absorbed by materials like wood and fabric. Both materials also swell when humidity is present and shrinks in its absence. It¡¯s not the same, however, with paint.

The change in size affects the oil painting and may cause the canvas to sag. Okay I know, I¡¯m taking the long cut with this so bear with me. I just want you to understand the basics behind the warning. Now, because frame makers are aware of the changes these materials undergo, they made sure that they¡¯re expendable joints you can use to ¡°key out¡± the oil paintings and make sure it remain taut.

And the warning ¨C don¡¯t have it keyed out during the cold months of winter because it might cause the painting to TEAR. That¡¯s right, not darken, not get dirtied but TEAR.

Lighting ¨C So now you better about framing. I¡¯m sure you¡¯re more wary this time when it comes to lighting levels. I¡¯ll keep it simple this time, don¡¯t you worry. My warnings about lighting levels will be to the point: Keep oil paintings in locations that are not easily reached by the harsh rays of sunlight.

If you have no options left about where to keep them, then just make do with closed drapes. Secondly, the ideal light level for oil paintings is 200lux. Thirdly, don¡¯t succumb to temptation and illuminate your oil paintings so its glory may be seen by all. I tell you, it would be simply murderous to your oil paintings.

Temperature and Humidity ¨C As this was already briefly discussed already during the framing process, you now know that humidity level can very much affect the surface of your paintings. So what do I advise regarding humidity levels? Basements are just a no-no to your oil paintings. In relation to temperatures, please do think about buying temperature sensors because fluctuations can likewise cause damage to your oil paintings.

this my tips ,you can visit my oil painting site : http://www.photo2all.com for more infomartion

Comment (1)