SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hercules_gw

'Messenger' - increased yields? Yes!! (long)

hercules
16 years ago

Hi to all,

Mentioned as an aside in a previous post "Your favorite hybrid tomato" by tumble_weed, I said I'd begin a separate thread about the product Messenger. Let me make it clear at the outset....I'm in no way promoting the product nor associated with it. I just grow tomatoes and other stuff. O.K., most of the other "stuff" belongs to my dear wife. ~grin~ When I say I'm not "promoting", I have to think about that...I guess I am, for I'm sold and just want to share this with you.

For more than a year Ralph Snodsmith, host of the radio program "Garden Hotline", has been singing the praises of a product called Messenger for promoting plant health and increased production on ALL plants....veggies, and flowering plants alike. Late last winter, I decided to try it and actually ordered a package. To be brief, results have been phenomenal!

Messenger is a harpin protein, and was developed by Cornell University for commercial distribution. It's now marketed by Eden Biosciences Corp. It supposedly works by making the plant think it's being attacked by disease, thereby triggering the natural defenses of the plant...even tho' no attack is actually taking place. The result is vigorous growth of both foliage and flowering/fruit. It DOES!

I've been growing tomatoes for over 35 years and, to the possible dismay of those interested only in heirlooms, have settled on Supersonic tomatoes a few years ago (the reasons are irrelevant here). My annual crops have been consistent and great...'til this summer. This year's production with the use of Messenger has been beyond my imagination, despite less than ideal weather here in PA. I use large cages, with each cage additionally supported by (2) two by two posts, but the weight of the tomato crop actually twisted and partially collapsed every cage. When harvesting, I kept rough records of each take. Each plant has produced over 60 lbs. of tomatoes, with more to come if frost holds off a bit longer. This is at least 33% more than I usually get.

So much for tomatoes. When I had extra spray, I used it on my wife's roses and passion flower vines (some others, too) The results were the same as with the tomatoes....much healthier plants, and flowering you wouldn't believe!

Enough now. ~grin~ Again, I offer this just to share this experience. One word of caution...DON'T over buy if you choose to try this. I did, not knowing. I've been in touch with "tumble_weed" since he expressed an interest, and told him the same thing. One package of 3 little foil packets of Messenger will (properly mixed) treat about 18-20 tomato plants for the whole season. Shelf life is supposedly 3 years on unopened packets, so you have a little buffer there if you get too much.

If I've sparked an interest in any of you with this, I'll offer the Eden Bioscience site link below. You might also try www-dot-messenger-dot-info. Please don't smack me if that doesn't work...it's from memory. If it works, it's worth a read.

Cordially submitted,

Hal (in beautiful central PA)

Here is a link that might be useful: Eden Biosciences

Comments (7)