SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
showman_gw

How do I complain about loud babies?

showman
18 years ago

I am a college student who has been living next to neighbors with extremley loud children. The mother is especially loud when she gets upset with the babies, screaming and fussing at them at any hour of the night. They have three children. One is around nine years old, and never has been a problem. But the other two are 1 and 3, and very VERY loud.

Here's my situation- sometimes They have complained to management about me when I will have a late night tantrum with my computer. The landlord will tell me they complain about me. Oddly, I never have complained about them, because I feel that since they have kids, it's acceptable. But recently I have not had tantrums, and have been very quiet and respectful. But their noise persists. And the landlord tells me it's a violation against both our leases if either one of us complains, and that if complaining continues, I will be evicted.

How, then, am I supposed to complain about their noise levels at night? They are a Hispanic family, and so the mother yells in Spanish. This isn't to be racist, but it's just that I can't really communicate with them personally about their noise level, because they know very little English. They are in a one bedroom, mind you, and have 5 people living in it. I asked the landlord if that was even legal, and she claims it's none of her business.

My mother pays my rent. When I told her about my loud neighbors and the crying of the babies and how the mother yells at them, she told me not to complain and just deal with it. So now if I complain and get in trouble for it, my mother will have a fit. So what should I do? Obviously no one can know what I'm going through night after night. Our bedrooms conjoin, meaning the walls seperate both my bedroom and theirs. My computer is in my bedroom. So Most of the time I'm in my bedroom and can hear everything that goes on with the babies and mother screaming at them. I've tried being patient but it's not working. I've kept my noise level down, and they stopped complaining. But now their noise level is still going on, and yet I feel trapped because If I do complain, it's apparently still a violation against my lease. If I don't, the noise will continue. What do I do?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
More Discussions