SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Darkening shelf detail on antique oak china cabinet

I have a tall oak china cabinet (it might actually be a library cabinet) with glass doors. Origin is supposedly Belgium. The shelves are all fronted with scalloped detail that is beautifully carved. One thing I have not liked is that this wood is lighter than the outside wood: like a butterscotch color vs. burnt sugar. Therefore through the glass doors the lighter wood is visible. The seller said it had not been refinished: maybe (I'm guessing) the wood outside darkened with age and the inside wood was more protected. The carved strip is nailed to plain wood shelf boards. The carved part looks like it has maybe 1 coat of stain and 1 of varnish. The actual shelf wood looks completely unstained and unvarnished, as does the rest of the interior, which looks completely raw. If it WAS a library cabinet this makes sense: the books would have covered the inside and the unfinished wood would not have been visible.

Can I use something to darken at least the carved edges, the shelves, or would that affect the value? I was thinking maybe Old English oil, either the colorless or the scratchcoat kind meant for medium color wood. The shelves seem quite raw but staining them to match is probably a bad idea.

Here you can see the shelf looks almost gray.

Through the glass the color looks even lighter.

Comments (12)