SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

it sounds like a squirrel tree frog, but....

dirtgirl
13 years ago

I'm in Jefferson County, southern Illinois so it can't be.

So far I can't locate the creature making the call, but I have successfully got sound recording of it. It showed up about a week ago in the yard, and consistently sings from the same location. It got my attention right away because it doesn't sound like any of our crickets or katydids, and yet it doesn't match any of our frogs or toads either. It's a repetitive, nasal quacking , given slightly slower than about twice a second, and it goes on for minutes at a time. Totally unlike the clicking marbles of a cricket frog or comb-clicking of a chorus frog.

When I got on the computer and started comparing recordings of other possible frogs, the squirrel tree frog one gave me chills, yet it can't be because that's a deep south amphib.

Anybody got any suggestions? I have the Illinois Natural History Survey guide to reps and phibs but I must be missing something.

I havent figured out how to save info from the sound card on my camera, so I'm ashamed to say that for now the best bet would be to hold the thing up to the phone for an expert to listen to. It's quite a good recording and when I play it simultaneously with the recording from the computer website, it's pretty eerie.

I have GOT to get a look at what's making this call!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus