SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
indianaherp

Smokies Salamanders

IndianaHerp
18 years ago

Yesterday I got back from a trip to South Carolina. I'm posting this out of order, because I only have my pics from my stop in Smoky Mt. National Park uploaded. Here is the second half of my trip report:

Our first stop Saturday morning was the visitor center on the North Carolina side of the park. Here I got some great tips on finding salamanders and even a spot for hellbenders in the park. After leaving there we drove all the way up to Clingman's Dome which I believe is the highest point in the park. My dad and I first hiked I path that wound down the slope of the Mountain. We didn't have to go very far, because we began finding salamanders at each little seep. Unfortunately many of them were difficult for me to identify so all I can say is that they are some species of dusky.

Confusing Duskies:

{{gwi:1369953}}
{{gwi:1369954}}

{{gwi:1369955}}

{{gwi:1369957}}

{{gwi:1369958}}

Pigmy Salamander (I think):

{{gwi:1369959}}

Jordan's Salamander:

{{gwi:1369960}}

After that my mom and I hiked to the top of Clingman's Dome where I found many more Jordan's salamanders as well as some that were about that size, but lacked the red cheeks:

{{gwi:1369962}}

Unfortunately the rest of the day was a complete waste. The Hellbender spot was unproductive and I think we went to the wrong location, but I did get to see a pickerel frog as it dissapeared under the bank. After that we went to Cades Cove where we had to wait for traffic for every deer that was along the road. No salamanders found there either.

The next morning my dad and I got up early to check out The Sinks. This wasn't as productive as I had hoped, but I added a couple more salamanders and a worm snake that I was unable to photograph.

Spotted Dusky Salamander:

{{gwi:1369964}}

Our last stop was the auto tour thing in the park near Gatlinburg. At various creeks along the road I found various lower elevation duskies including these two young ones which I believe may be an Ococee and a seal:

{{gwi:1369966}}

{{gwi:1369968}}

This was my first trip to the smokies where I actually looked for salamanders and I was pretty pleased. Here is the list:

Spotted Dusky Salamander

Shovel-nosed Salamander

Seal Salamander

Ocoee Salamander

Black-bellied Salamander

Santeetlah Salamander

Pigmy Salamander

(ALL LIFERS!)

Long-tailed Salamander

Jordan's Salamander (lifer)

Cope's Gray Treefrog

Pickerel Frog

If anybody can help me out with some of those IDs it would be much appreciated. I will post the first half of my trip soon.

-Andrew

Comments (4)

Sponsored