SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wduzak

Short post on Snake Road

wduzak
18 years ago

Just a note from Snake Road. Arrived Friday afternoon about 5 p.m. and saw two cottommouths right off the bat. Then ran into four guys, two from Washington University in St. Louis (I think it just Washington U) who proudly annouced that they had seen 23 species and reptiles and amphibians including one hognose snake, that, judging from the distance one of them held his hands apart, had to measure about 30 inches.

Of course, things went downhill from there. My friend, Anne, smashed her toe against the cooler I had brought in and put in the motel room and our walking for Saturday was kind of limited. Saw one more cottonmouth, a western ribbon, a couple of identified water snakes and one ringneck snake.

The water was up and there were American toads everywhere. At the Winter Pond parking lot there were maybe 25 or 30

in a breeding orgy. Further up the road they were all over the puddles and very loud.You had to be careful not to walk on them. The weather was beautiful on Saturday but turned nasty on Sunday.

For wildflower lovers, there were wildflowers all over the place.

Best of luck to those who are up there is weekend.

Warren

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH