SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
squonk_gw

My first attempt at growing tomatoes has been a great success.

squonk
15 years ago

My plants (Super Beefsteaks) are over 9 feet tall and producing an incredible amount of fruit. The tomatoes have varied in size, from billiard ball size to softball size.

20% Softball size

20% Billiard ball size

60% Baseball Size

The only major problem I had was tomato cracking, but, I fixed that problem by picking the fruit before they have fully ripened and let it finish ripening on the counter. After changing my harvesting method I noticed no change in flavor, so, for those of you curious if you need to leave on plant until they are fully ripe, here is your answer.

The taste and texture of my tomatoes are wonderful. However, I wanted to ask a question. I noticed none of you guys have ever mentioned planting Beefsteaks. Why is this? Is Beefsteak an over hyped 'pop' tomato? Are there other kinds I should try next year? I grew my tomatoes from seed and have a bunch left over. Can I use these seeds next season or do I need to buy more seeds even if I want to grow the same type? Anyway, I have given away over a dozen tomatoes and still have about 30 on the counter top, with many more that will be ready to pick soon (I have 5 plants). As you can see, I am very proud of myself. lol I hope it wasn't beginners luck. :)

Comments (3)