SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

Sparrow ID needed

paulsiu
14 years ago

I am located in a western suburb of Chicago.

Recently, I uncovered a old pair of Binoculars and have been using them to observe the birds at the feeder. I used to observe a the swarm of what I thought were house sparrows in the yard. It turns out that many were not house sparrows at all.

Unfortunately, I do not have pictures since I can't do telephoto, so I have to describe them.

American Tree Sparrow? - I am thinking that it may be several American Tree sparrows flying around. I see them mostly at the ground feeder and at the finch feeder. I am thinking they are tree sparrow and not a female house sparrow because they have a central spot on their breast. If it as a central spot and no black mask on their face, it's a tree sparrow? In addition, I haven't seen a house sparrow being able to use the finch feeder because the perch is too short.

Song Sparrow? - There's a fat looking sparrow that eats only from the ground with a sort of mottled pattern on the breast. I figured it is not a house sparrow because house sparrows have solid grayish front. I think it appears to have a brown and white streak crown. A savannah sparrow would have a yellowish crown and also is the wrong time of the year. A pine siskin would have a less definite crown. It also scratches the ground. I have only ever seen one of them. May be there are more, but I only see one. Do you think it's a song sparrow?

One odd attribute is the scratching the ground. I notice that Juncos and true sparrows do it even if they are standing on top of a pile of seeds, but house sparrows do not. Actually, initially, I thought the bird was being spastic :-). House sparrows don't do it, but I have been told they are actually finches. Does that mean Pine Siskins also do not scratch? In addition, I notice that house sparrows can't really land on the finch feeder for some reason, but I have seen some tree sparrows do it. Actually most try to peck at the yellow top cap for some reason, which doesn't do them any good.

Paul

Comments (4)