SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redthistle

Native Plant Suggestions

Redthistle
15 years ago

This both a gardening and a social issue.

I have a 10' x 100' right-of-way located outside my wire fence, which follows the road that goes along by my house. I also have a neighbor who lives right across the street from this area. I like and respect this neighbor, but almost every time I'm in the back yard he takes this as an opportunity to come over. I'm sociable and enjoy our conversations, but lately it's been happening a lot and even when it's almost pitch black outside, there he is. There are times I need some privacy and have yard work to get done. Since I'm in plain view of his front yard, it's difficult to be in my back yard without being seen.

I want to plant natives in this area that will screen the view of my back yard from the street.

This area is semi-shady. I have several oaks growing along the right-of-way. I also have caliche "soil" and do not plan to water this area much.

Am considering hiring someone for an hour to give me suggestions if I can't come up with enough good ones myself.

I'm thinking of things like:

evergreen sumac

agarita

antique roses that grow in the shade? (I know they aren't native) I want to create a layered effect with these plants.

elbow bush

some kind of holly

flame acanthus (will it grow in the shade?)

I've already contacted the city to see if there are any restrictions and there aren't, unless someone complains. This area does not go to an intersection so I won't be blocking anyone's view around any corners as they drive.

Currently already planted there are:

flame leaf sumac (which is bare right now)

Mrs. B.R. Cant (rose)

Mist flower (boneset)

poison ivy (planted itself)

Comments (16)