SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smdane05

2nd attempt @ veggie garden

smdane05
12 years ago

Good morning everyone!

I tried a garden last year and half way did it. I dove in without research and it was messy! Well, I have been researching and reading and I thought I would gather some personal experience from fellow Houstonians!

I did okra, squash, zucchini, tomatoes, and peppers. I found out I was pregnant and I came across two copperheads while I was in the garden one day so I took it as a sign to not do it.

Well, the okra took over and so did the squash. My tomatoes dried out. It was just a mess.

Now, I am doing raised gardens. I have decided to do a few separate ones rather than one connected garden so I can walk around it and maintain ph level as necessary per plants needs.

So, I will take any advice on what veggies/fruits/herbs do the best in Houston/sugar land area, best way to have proper drainage in soil, and what easy ways you have found to do things. I have been saving seeds from produce that I buy in hopes I can use them. I also have two old fig trees that haven�t had any love. They did not produce any figs this year. I know the previous renters did nothing with them, so any advice on that would be nice. I would like to trim them, but not sure if it would hurt them?

Comments (16)