SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfox248

TONS of birds in my yard... none at my feeder.

cfox248
9 years ago

Hey! I'm hoping this is the right place to put this. I have a soft spot for birds, and for a while I interned at a wildlife rehab center primarily with birds (This is where that fondness came from). At my current house, we have TONS of them. I can hear them - Bluejays, robins, starlings, sparrows, nuthatches, chickadees, house and gold finches, cardinals. I see them frequently. So I thought I would put out feeders for them. Several weeks ago I put out a big feeder of small bird seed for the songbirds, a finch sock full of thistle, and a double suet cage with a suet cake and a sunflower seed cake.

The birds don't seem to want to come to it. I get an okay amount of sparrows and chickadees, they are very appreciative. The cardinals come by on occasion, but there is not enough sunflower to keep them (that's next on my list!). One woodpecker visits for the suet sometimes. I don't even mind the squirrel who comes by and eats the seeds on the ground... but the birds don't seem interested. I'm not sure what to put out to entice blue jays... They live in the tree less than 50 yards from the feeder.

I know they're around. Morning to night the yard is filled with birdsong. I see them constantly in the grass and trees outside. How can I get them to want to come to the feeders? Would a birdbath make it more enticing? The feeders are even in a big tall weedy patch so it's not like they're in the open. We don't have predators around. I thought they would completely flock to it, but in the time it's been out I haven't even had to think about restocking the suet cages, and I only have refilled the feeder once - it was only half gone and had been a good few weeks.

Any advice?

Comments (11)