SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katsmah

Are the newcomers killing birds at my feeder?

katsmah
13 years ago

Hello,

This winter for the first time I hung bird feeders when I saw that my chokecherry tree was striped clean by the birds early in the season. I'm in Northern NJ right outside NYC. My yard is small and I have 3 feeders setup, a suet feeder, a tube with nyger seed and a small feeder with sunflower/safflower mix all hung from the same chokecherry tree. Based on the number of birds in my yard, I think I'm the only one in the neighborhood who has feeders out. In the winter I had sparrows, house finches, cardinals, chickadees, titmouse, mourning doves and a woodpecker visiting the yard.

Everything was fine until a couple of weeks ago when the migrating birds started appearing. I now have grackle, a couple of junco, black birds and an occasional blue jay.

Last week I found a dead sparrow near one of the feeders, today a dead female cardinal. Based on what I can see, I don't think they were attacked by a cat. We have a few that roam in the neighborhood, but I haven't seen them in at least a month.

Is there something with my setup that could be causing birds to attack each other? Could it be the migrating birds that are killing the smaller birds? Should I just take the feeders down for awhile?

Comments (10)