SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zmike6

Odd bee/oak tree situation

zmike6
15 years ago

I'm in the rural suburbs NE of Austin, and I have an odd bee issue I haven't seen before (I've been in this location for 6 years.)

I have several small Texas live oak trees, roughly 15-18 feet tall, in my yard. Over the last two weeks, I've noticed that a large number of bees (look similar to honeybees) are attracted to these trees, almost like the trees are flowering plants. The bees are particularly interested in one of the trees, with a higher concentration of bee activity at that tree over the others. I know little about bees, but this activity appears to be more like individual feeding activity, and not a swarming or hive activity. I can't quite make out what is attracting them, or what they are up to, but it may be related to acorns on the tree. At first I thought they might be a leafcutter bee species, but I don't see the characteristic holes along the edges of leaves that leafcutter bees produce.

On a possibly-related note, a couple weeks ago (just prior to this bee activity) I noticed that a large number of some type of moth or butterfly had settled in this oak. Which makes me wonder if the tree is secreting something sweet.

Anyway, the concentration of bees in and around these trees makes me leery of doing my usual yardwork, as I doubt they will react well to a big sweaty guy and a loud lawnmower disrupting their routine. Anyone have an idea what these bees are doing, and any tips to convince them to leave?

Comments (8)