SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

Ramblings after a year of feeding

paulsiu
13 years ago

It's been a year since I move to Northern Illinois and started bird feeding for the first time. I have to admit that it's been quite enjoyable.

Year around, I have been getting chickadee's and cardinals. Lately, I notice that the usual large red cardinal have been absent. In its place is a youngster trying to become red. Did the older cardinal died or did it give up its territories to his kids?

The Downy woodpecker that was around all winter abandon me during spring, but it appears to have come back. Oddly, in the old days, it never ate anything from the bird feeder, but have been there often.

Late year, I had no grackles. This year I had tons. I am hoping that they will migrate soon. Last year, several blue jay used to visit my yard. Now I don't even hear or see them.

Late summer, I had no gold finch, now they are extremely common. They are hungry buggers and empty an entire sock daily.

For over a year, I have been battling the large army of squirrels. I have switch from a hanging feeder with a baffle to a pole with a baffle. That seemed to work much better. No squirrels have been managed to get on.

Paul

Comments (3)