SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jen__jf

my eccentric camping uncle!

jen_
19 years ago

My great uncle Oscar was the epitome of a great camper! In his 80's he was still camping in the snow in the Adirondack mountains! He believed in always being prepared. So, he always wore various layers of very colorful clothing and used various length of ropes for belts. Every pocket or loop contained some sort of survival gear. He drove a station wagon that had every inch of space jammed packed with some sort of "essential" gear for every event!

Uncle Oscar came for my wedding which was held in my family home and was not large but nicely attended by close friends and family. Oscar arrived a day ahead of time along with many other out of town relatives. He presented everybody with some sort of gift. Some people received various spices and some people got absolutely huge chunks of cheese. Within minutes of being introduced to my future MIL (who was meeting my family for the first time) he proceeded to set up a propane (flame throwing type) heater in my parents dining room. As my MIL is sitting there flames went shooting half way across the room right in front of her! We suggested he test the heater outside!

Then some of our family were planning on staying over but sleeping in my parents' small travel trailer. My father didn't realize that the large propane tank was empty! No problem. Uncle Oscar just happened to have a filled 20 lb tank in his car along with a fewer smaller 1 pounders! Keep in mind that Uncle Oscar traveled to our house via the Lincoln Tunnel and it's a good thing this was long before the current era of terrorism!

This is the one that most amazes me. My uncle Oscar spent many years working in the garment industry in NY and enjoyed sewing. When he was there for the wedding my father offered him my grandmother's old sewing machine but told him there was no table for it! Well, wouldn't you know it! Uncle Oscar just happened to have a sewing machine table in his car! So, he proceeded to unload it from his car, bring it inside, and set up the machine and start sewing!

Sure, uncle Oscar was very eccentric but also very inspirational. Every once in awhile I stumble across one of his homemade camping tools or something that he carried around with him on his trips! I have a huge bag of rope of almost every type imaginable (he really liked rope) and we call it "oscar rope." He was a character and I sure hope that when I am in my 80's I am half as tough as what he was!

Comments (10)

Sponsored