SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Cheap camper:

rustyj14
16 years ago

Going back in my memory, i can remember what a friend used for a camper. He used the trunk of his Cadillac! Yep-he would close the latch so nobody could lock him in at night, and hold the lid down with a bungee cord. He was a small fellow, and he could curl up in there right nicely! He kept a small pad to sleep on, and said it was all quite comfy!

Another friend had a Nash automobile, 4 door type. It had a feature where the front seat back would fold back and make a nice bed for two people. He'd use it on weekends to go fishing in some far away crick.

I fixed the front seat in my 1950 Ford sedan to work the same way. When yer out in the boondocks, beside yer stream that ya want to fish early next morning, it sure was handy!

I had a 1940 Ford Panel truck, which was good for those spur of the moment fishing jaunts. It held yer gear and sleeping stuff, and it was lockable.

Alas--my dear wife hated for me to be having all the fun going away for weekends, so we bought our first tent trailer, one of the first Nimrods ever made! It had bright orange canvas, slide out beds, and car size wheels.

No sit down in it, no stove, frig, just a steel storage box, and the tent and beds! Primitive, but usable! But, we were happy, and we used it for 4-5 years. The next one was a brand new Nimrod. Much nicer, but no amenities in it, either. I built in the table, seats, storage boxes, stove and ice box. And, i designed the stove mounting so we could cook inside, or outside under the awning. Even made a bed on the seat boxes for one of the kids.

After some years and many trips, my wife's arthritis got too bad for her to sleep in canvas, so that started the enclosed camping period, culminating in our motor home, which now i would trade for a nice tent trailer!

What goes around, comes around!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz