SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kbcherokee_gw

Trailmanor camper

kbcherokee
17 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with the Trailmanor campers? We have a Coleman popup now and are thinking of upgrading to the Trailmanor for the hardsides. How easy are they to put up and close down? All info appreciated.

Comments (6)

• rustyj14
    17 years ago

Say, I just "Googled" "Trailmanor Campers on the I-net and got a whole bunch of info, which seems straighforward, and very interesting!
    You will probably need something to tow with, other than a VW car, or a lightweight sedan or van! At least a 6 cylinder engine! I didn't see anything in that site indicating the trailers can be towed by an under powered car, or light duty truck!
    Remember, the world isn't flat, like the plan where you live! There are steep hills that can be encountered all over this land, and there's nothing worse than grinding slowly up a mile long hill, with other drivers gesturing with the one-finger salute after you get to the top! And, where you have to cool off the engine!
    I towed a Coleman tent trailer up over the mountain, from Cherokee to Gatlinburg, and it heated up! The engine was a 350 Chevy, but it was steep! I thought i had plenty of power, but how wrong i was!
    you'd probably have to investigate a crew-cab 1 ton pickup for towing. Not 4WD. 3/4 ton might suffice. Cars, as built today, i don't think so, unless you tow where the land is flat.
    HTH: Rusty Jones

• kbcherokee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey rustyj14, thanks for the post. Agree with what you say, especially about the mts. in Tennesse. Beautiful state though.DH has talked about getting a beefier truck, using a 1/2 ton to tow popup with, so will be looking at one of the ones you suggested.
    Happy Camping

• snowhawk_camper
    17 years ago

May I also suggest taking a tour of the camper factory? It can be an eye opening experience. Try to get to know some of the factory reps who go out to the rv shows in your area. They can be invaluable when trouble occurs and can get things done faster than just calling customer support.

• cactus_jeff
    16 years ago

Hi

I have a 1972 Hilo BonVoyage.

It was made before the Trailmanor.

I love mine. I wont ever sell it, unless I find one bigger or older.

I LOVE THE VINTAGE HILO'S

They last for ever it seems.

If you buy an older one, check the bushings and hangers underneath. Their cheap to replace. I took mine to a suspension and trailer repair place. It cost me $250.00.

I blew 8 tires in 2 years.

After the bushings it rides like a new one, and havent blown a tire since.

Jeff

• cactus_jeff
    16 years ago

Hello Again

In my last reply I forgot to tell you, I have no problem towing mine. I have a 1998 1 TON 4WD Chevy Cheyenne with 4 DOORS and an 8 FOOT BED

HERES THE KICKER MY TRUCK ONLY HAS A 350 VORTECH IN IT WITH 220,000 MILES ON IT !!

I did 65 MPH on the worst hill on my way to West Virginia.

A 350 Vortech must have a lot more power than a regular 350.

Jeff

• djrjra_xtra_co_nz
    13 years ago

Hi,

I have a TRAILMANOR 2027D and love it. Due to having to leave the country (New Zealand) for 12 months for work I need to put it into storage (outside under a cover). Can anybody advise the best way yo do this i.e. open position or closed.

Dean

Sponsored