SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dreamgarden_gw

Birds Dying at Gas Station-Colorado Springs

dreamgarden
12 years ago

Not sure if this is on or off topic, but the birds in this story need help.

Can anyone suggest ways to encourage the owner of this gas station to stop allowing birds to die unnecessarily even when one is offering a free solution? Thanks!

"COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- One Colorado Springs woman explains to KRDO Newschannel 13 that she was a customer of the Conoco Gas Station near Interstate 25 and Circle Drive. She said while there, she noticed some movement underneath one of the four pillars that holds the roof.

Myong, who does not wish to use her last name, said she notified the employee who suggested calling the local fire department. Myong said several firefighters helped to break away a small portion of cement at the base of the pillar to allow the bird to escape.

There is a gap between the top of the pillar and the underside of the roof, which is where Myong believes the birds are entering the pillar. Myong said she thinks the birds cannot figure out how to exit the pillar, becoming trapped.

"I don't think this is right, this has got to stop. It really has to stop," said Myong. Myong said she knows of at least 11 birds that have died at the gas station.

"I told the owner I would pay for somebody to cover the hole. Can you let me do that, can you let somebody do that? He said no," said Myong of her interaction with the owner of the gas station.

The owner would not talk with KRDO Newschannel 13 on camera, but did say he did not feel it was his responsibility to address the issue."

Links that might be useful:

www.krdo.com/news/28625335/detail.html

birding.about.com/b/2011/07/22/birds-dying-at-gas-station.htm#gB3

Comments (2)