SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jen__jf

camper kindness

jen_
19 years ago

Over the years I have found that most campers are very kind people. There have been a few incidents that demonstrate there are other types out there, such as Dale's disappearing tent and me having a cooler full of food stolen last spring. However, overall that type of thing seems to be the exception instead of the rule! There have been two incidents that have really demonstrated to me how kind and generous campers really are!

Last year after a cooler of food was stolen from my camping trip with my students I was very upset and posted the story on a couple of camping forums. On one of the forums, Popup Explorer, the other posters we're equally upset. Somebody posted a challenge to donate enough money to my students to replace the cooler! I was very surprised and we ended up having two Coleman Extreme coolers donated, a lantern, and around $250! It was an amazing act of kindness on their part! Strangers from all over the country and Canada contributed! We had the local paper do a story on it! It was a great lesson for my students after having their food stolen to see the other side of the coin!

Another thing that sticks in my mind happened two summers ago. My daughter did an impulsive thing that led to her having a fairly serious bike accident. She went over the handlebars without her helmut, hit her head on a rock, knocked herself out, gave herself a concussion and several stitches in her forehead! We ended up being at the hospital for about seven hours because they thought she had a spleen injury (Thank God she didn't!) and had to run tests! In the meantime it was checkout time at my campsite on the lakefront and somebody was due to come in to the site. Now, I work in the campground so I had an off water seasonal site set up on another site. I called the office and asked if they could just have the maintenance guys throw my tent gear in the back of the truck and dump it off on my seasonal site! Well, when they went to do that my neighbors at the next site had already fully packed up my gear, nice and folded, delivered it to my seasonal site, and put it inside the screen room! I couldn't believe it because they themselves were packing up their own gear on that day to go home! So, of course they were gone when we finally got back to camp! I sent them a thank you note. Then when they arrived at camp this past summer I had a surprise thank you for them. We have a bakery as part of our camp store. I had a homemade apple pie baked for them and as soon as they were set up delivered it to their camp site! They were very surprised!

Anybody else have stories demonstrating the kindness of campers?

Can you all tell that I am home for a snow day today and have some time on my hands? I really should be cleaning the house.....

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH