SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginni77

I love going out bird-watching by the river at daybreak!

ginni77
13 years ago

I live very near the Mississippi River in Illinois and take advantage of the great opportunities to see different water fowl whenever I can. It was a gloomy day but I went down by the river this morning thinking I may get to see a Great Blue Heron or some Egrets but I caught a mama Wood Duck and her babies sitting on a log, instead. The duck wort was thick in the water, it's sort of a side inlet where I always see lots of water birds. I watched them for a long time and took a few photos.

They must have decided it was breakfast time and left the log to go hunt for something good.

Just wanted to share this with you. It's always a good day when I can add a new one to my life list. I've seen them stuffed and mounted ( :( ) but never alive and in person! I wish daddy would have been there too! :)

In a slough near the river, I saw a few Great Egrets but they were too far away to get good pictures, especially with the low light of this gloomy day.

I also saw this Great Blue Heron...

A fisherman nearby scared him away and I got to hear him squawk in protest as he flew away. They have a very strange voice!

Thanks for looking!

Comments (2)