SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_b_gw

Only you can appreciate my joy

karen_b
14 years ago

Since we moved to PA I've not been able to attract bluebirds to our mountain retreat, aka our home in the woods. Though I've seen bluebirds in a cemetery up the road. I have bluebird nests (tried & true from our last house) all over, water and suet, we had over 30 trees cut down around the house for more open space (mostly to keep the carpenter ants away from the house), and I planted numerous berry producing shrubs which all produced a large quantity of berries this year for the first time.

Until this past Saturday during a snow storm when during the Christmas bird count I noticed what I thought at first was a titmouse until I got my binoculars out and looked closely. Only to see for the first time in 7 years a female bluebird in "my" back yard. Needless to say everyone in the house knew it and so did everyone on my facebook page. She didn't stay around long, just long enough to check out the offerings. But I knew my backyard was forever imprinted in her brain. My husband joked that she showed up a week too early, he had ordered the bluebirds for my Christmas present. You have to love a husband like this don't you?

Christmas eve, after a lousy day at work and a couple of hours of Christmas shopping, what do you think greeted me in one of those berry laden shrubs right off the deck but a female bluebird. If I don't have any presents under the tree it doesn't matter I've had the best Christmas present ever.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996