SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

Visit SRQ Hoyas = Happy Happy Happy Joy Joy Joy

greedygh0st
12 years ago

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to scratch out a quick note to apologize for falling off the face of the Hoya planet and let you know I'm back and will be posting again.

I had some family troubles that were/(are) taking up a lot of my time, and I took a trip down to Florida. None of which any of you need to be concerned about, except that while I was in Florida, I got to see Joni and her operation at SRQ Hoyas and it was ... the best. day. ever!

First off, I want to say for the record that all you Floridians are lucky lucky ducks.

Second, I want to add my voice to the ever-growing pile of happy SRQ visitors. I had already grown wise to the fact that Joni's a generous and well-intentioned soul who really cares about our community. So, it's not like I was surprised it was a lot of fun, but whoa was it a lot of fun, guys! Like a crack buffet!

So, I show up at SRQ and am faced with table upon table of lush happy baby plants and fascinating looking mama plants and it was like my brain literally locked up. I sort of hovered around the tables like an indecisive zombie in a room full of sleeping victims. I think my arms were even kind of frozen outstretched and graspy. I got to see a lot of rare Hoyas I'd never laid eyes on before, see a lot of the plants from my collection all grown up, see lots of blooms I'd not yet witnessed, and make side by side comparisons of plants I'd always wanted to contrast (e.g. lacunosa cultivars or name-your-Eriostemma). Next time, I'm just going to bring a sleeping bag and camp out there for a week, because that's about as long as it would take for me to be there and chill out enough to breathe.

Add to that the fact that Joni is fascinating, candid, and down to earth. Full of interesting observations, stories, ideas, and information. I felt like I should have had a tape recorder and realllly regret that I didn't take any pictures, but I was just trying to soak up everything like a little sponge and not miss a thing.

Soooo... if any of you are down in that neck of the woods, highly recommended!

Happy Halloween to everyone & I'll be piping up much more again. Forgive me as I begin to resurrect lots of dead and decomposing threads.

P's. I thought it would amuse you all that Joni helped me pick out a first Hoya for my sister, who was traveling with me, and when my sister had to take it home on her flight, she first got into a tiff with airport security over how to run it through the x-ray without breaking off any peduncles, and then gave it its own seat at the crowded bar pre-flight. So, I guess she's all set to be initiated as a card carrying plant nut.

Comments (13)

Sponsored