SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
james_m_clark

Wren nestboxes

james_m_clark
14 years ago

I had printed a few nestbox plans I found on the Internet some time ago, but only recently got around to actually using one of the plans.

I had a ready-made nestbox (with fancy painting on it), and when a pair of wrens started showing interest in it, I quickly added a hole reducer to bring the hole diameter down to one inch to make it safer for the wrens. But there was only signs of nest-building, not anything else.

Then I remembered reading that the male wren often makes several nests and lets the female choose one. I needed more wren nestboxes to increase my chances. So I got out those nestbox plans, and chose the one for wrens and chickadees. (1 inch diameter hole for wrens only, and 1 1/8 inch for wren or chickadee) I had a board that once was part of a closet shelf that was just enough for two nestboxes, so I built two.

I covered one of the nestboxes with small sticks from my fireplace kindling box, for a more "natural" look. So now the wrens will have a choice of "uptown fancy", "country log cabin" or "plain" (faded white paint) styles. Click on the picture below to see my photo gallery for details:

Wren Nestboxes

Here is a link that might be useful: Nestbox plan that I used

Comments (21)