SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
estreya_gw

Will human touch cause a Robin to abandon its nest?

estreya
16 years ago

At best, this question is only tangentially related to Northwest Gardening, as i live in the Northwest, and the question is about something in my garden. :) I do apologize if it's not the correct forum.

Having said that, does anyone happen to know to what extent a Robin's nest can be disturbed without causing the nest to be abandoned?

Today, i wanted to get a photograph of what i thought was a perfect Robin's nest. Since i couldn't see into the nest from my vantage point, i moved a few branches out of the frame with one hand and stretched my camera arm above the nest to snap the picture. I was careful not to touch or disturb the nest because somewhere deep in my little girl history i was told never to touch birds nests or its occupants wouldn't return because of the human smell (i have no idea who told me that, but the message stuck).

Much to my surprise, the photograph revealed a perfect blue egg in the nest. So now i'm quite worried that my scent on the branches may cause that wee little egg to be abandoned. Is there any rational basis at all for my concern?

{{gwi:1075774}}

Comments (39)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES