SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnalovesblue

PLEASE help....something horrible is happening!

donnalovesblue
15 years ago

Well...horrible to me! First, my apologies for this post on HOSPS right on the heels of my other one.

While on my patio potting mums, I heard the loud "cheeps", looked at the nestbox and a female blue was perched on top. A beak appeared in the entrance hole and I thought it might be a male bb, but then out flew a male HOSP. Then several females joined him and chased Mama blue away...she returned and attempted to perch again, but was chased away. It was such an unsettling sight and I am very upset. These HOSPS just seemed to have appeared out of nowhere over the past few days and there numbers are increasing...

Now I find myself in an emotional dilemma. Never in all my years of birding and having nesters, have I been in this situation. Call it lucky, but predators were never a problem. When joining this wonderful forum in Jan., I was attempting to attract the blues and the moment I laid eyes on them, I was hooked. You bb experts helped tremendously with so much info, advice, patience and guidance and I give you credit for my two successful nestings...a thrilling experience. I read many threads regarding these destructive birds, but never chimed in, since they were not present in my yard, I could offer no opinion.

I've never killed a living creature in my life, except bugs and the thought of that (at this moment) is very troubling. I do know that one cannot provide a safe haven for the blues and other cavity nesters, unless certain measures are taken...clearly I understand that! And Bet's site does provide info on passive and aggressive means. Of course, I don't want to remove the nestboxes either.

This is not an easy position in which to be...so I need your help and encouragement, especially from those who have to deal with HOSPS and felt the same way when you first began trapping, etc. I have alot to learn and I'm thankful nesting season is months away...btw...do HOSPS ever harm the blues this time of year? Just curious.

Thank you to those who have taken the time to read this and also, for your advice...I truly appreciate it!

Donna

Comments (16)