SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa11310

tell me about Robin babies

lisa11310
13 years ago

I have been watching a Robins nest in a small cherry tree. I didn't hold much hope for it as most of the nests I have found always lose the eggs. These hatched and I was very worried because we have Blue Jays and Crows around. The nest is also fairly close to the road and all the city folks that come camp out here drive like it's a highway. Yesterday I noticed they were sitting up in the nest so I figured they would be going soon. This morning I went out and they were gone. I was very pleased UNTIL I found a pile of baby feathers under the tree. I see Mom protecting an area (lots of brush and trees) she actually knocked a Chipmonk out of a tree so I know at least one baby is out there, only 1 pile of feathers so I am hoping 2. The closest I can come to an age is 14 days. I know they were 3 to 5 days old when I first found them. 14 days may mean they were fledging when one was taken. 12-13 days may mean they were forced to flee to safety. My question, do Robin babies fly at all when they first fledge or is it normal for them to be on the ground for a few days? I have tried to locate the babies (from a distance) but they are well hidden. What preditors other than Hawks and Cats should I worry about (Im in the woods)? I can listen for Mom squaking and come running and keep an eye on the area but thats about all I can do. I will be so happy to see them in the trees. Thanks for any info you can give me about baby Robins!

Comments (6)