SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mehearty

Some questions about fledgling robins please

mehearty
14 years ago

I cannot find these answers on the web. If anyone knows any GREAT sites, I'd be thrilled to see them

1) Are robins territorial? I'm still looking for our babies who fledged a week ago under duress. I've noticed 2 robins (presumably a mom and a dad) acting protective in the woods perhaps 40 feet from the babies' nest. Would another family nest so close? Mama robin's old favorite perch away from the nest would be about 20 feet from where I see these "other robins."

2) What do 3 week old robins look like? Do they look like a smaller adult? We've noticed 1 robin coming back to the porch. He/she doesn't sit on the same spots as the mom used to sit, but I'm wondering if perhaps it's one of the chicks. In my memory, I don't rememer any robins ever coming onto the porch until this season. Just a few minutes ago, I saw a robin hunting for worms near the woods out front, and when I opened the door, 2 flew off together. I don't usually see 2 together, so I'm wondering if this was a parent and child. They both looked like adults to me, but it was very quick. Though the door is a good 20 feet from the site where the robins were feeding, mama robin was very much attuned to the sound of the door opening since her nest was right there. She'd have recognized the sound.

3) Lastly, are cowbirds any threat to the robins? We have 2 around that seem to follow the robins.

Thank you for your advice.

~MH

Comments (2)