SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ccoombs1

Eastern King Bird nest in my yard

ccoombs1
13 years ago

For a couple of weeks, I have been enjoying watching a pair of kingbirds that have been hanging around the tall trees in my yard. I have always had kingbirds in the front of my house, in the big field but this pair started hanging around in the back where I could watch them better. This weekend, they started building a nest in the very top of a hickory tree. This tree was severly damaged by a late cold snap a few years ago and has a lot of large dead limbs in the top. It also has limbs with sparse foliage. It was in this sparse foliage that the new nest is being constructed. I have thoroughly enjoyed the process. Dad seems to fly with mom to get nest building materials, but does not help her. He stands guard though while she builds. They have mated at least twice. I have seen them aggressively chase off predatory-type birds (hawks, cowbirds and jays) but they seem to be fine with cardinals and finches in the area. They are so agile and feisty! I am going to enjoy having them with me for the summer!

Comments (2)