SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fairychick

Something New, Worrisome, 3rd Clutch

fairychick
15 years ago

Hi again all,

My bb pair (Brad and Angie) have been by the book from day one. The first two sets everything was exactly 2 weeks apart. Now they are on the third bunch.

3 eggs were laid 2 weeks ago (27th, 28th, 29th). So I figured they would hatch tomorrow. My husband peeked in yesterday because we've had really bad storms, and one had already hatched. So we figured the heat had just hurried things along, and the other two would be out soon. I just checked and there's still just the one. It's laying across the other two eggs and seems to be breathing rather heavy. I didn't want to spend a lot of time looking even though the tiny bit of breeze might have felt good to the little fellow.

Is it normal for eggs to hatch several days apart? When should I think there might be something wrong with the other two eggs? Let me add here that we wondered if these would hatch at all. The eggs didn't look as "perfect" as the other 8 have. One even has a small indentation in it. The parents are around, and so are some of the sisters from the last bunch. Waxworms are plentiful, and I'm starting to get results from the mealies I started raising, so food won't be a problem (I wish they would eat mosquitoes because there are trillions of them out there).

Brad & Angie have been great parents and I've been lucky to have everything go so well. The only mishap was one unhatched egg in the first clutch. Is it possible that the one baby just hatched early and might not make it?

I realize I'm impatient and should probably just wait a few days to see what happens. I have to work the Polls tomorrow so won't be able to check on them at all, but hope husband will.

Once again, thanks in advance for advice.

tara

Comments (9)