SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa11310

Hussy Mom fledging day (nest cam) LONG!

lisa11310
15 years ago

I rolled out of bed at 8:00 turned on the TV and all 5 were still there. Watched Joe Daddy feed the babies while I had my coffee and found the best spot to see both the TV and the box. My living room window faces the box that is below my 2nd story deck. Sure enough 9:am and Hussy Mom decides to show up. She did a quick nest check then went after Joe Daddy up in a tree. They both came to the box and Mom started stomping, right away baby #1 pokes it head out and just takes off. It flew below the deck and out of my sight, I ran out and saw that (she) had landed on the back side of the deck. I was getting cussed out so I went back inside and watched till Mom got her up in a tree. Joe Daddy went and sat with the baby and Mom went down and stomped on the box again. Baby # 2 poked it head out and jumped just as Mom was swooping down. It almost looked like she came and pushed (him)out and they both flew off. Again I lost sight and could not find him anywhere. I took awhile but I saw both Mom and Dad up in a tree in the opposite direction of where baby #1 was. They had quit clucking so I assumed he had gotten up in the tree safely. These first two were the rowdy ones that had been jumping on the others from the back of the box, it was no surprise they went first and quickly. I don't believe the others had even done much peeking. Now there was room in the box to stretch out so one started flapping away. I decided to move out on the deck so I could see the TV through the window but also see where the babies landed. Hussy Mom was having none of that and flew straight at me clicking me off. Ok ok I said and went back inside. As soon as I left Mom went back to the box and baby # 3 stuck it's head out but then went back in. I turned to glance at the TV then saw Mom fly off to the tree where baby #1 was and there was baby# 3. I must have missed him when I turned my head. Baby # 4 & 5 decided to preen then flap then preen some more then take a nap. So now baby # 1 & 3 are up in a tree with Dad but I still can't find baby # 2. Finally one of the babies started peeking and peeping but now I don't see Mom or Dad anywhere! Peek peek...peep peep.....NO I said, get back in the box! Peep peep, peep peep and here comes Mom. Stomp stomp ...peep peep...flutter! Again I lose sight but baby # 4s out of the box......NO! wait!.....I look at the TV and there are still 2 in the box!! What the???? Ok I figured out that I did not miss baby # 3 leave the box but baby # 2 had come from the tree in back to join baby # 1. Now I am happy I know where baby # 2 is. Ok to find the real baby # 3 OOHHH NNNOOOO (he)is on the old rickety wooden chair right at THE POND!!!!! He was flapping and running up and down the arm of the chair and I though he was going to jump right in to the water. Mom was up on the box as baby # 4 was peeking but went up into a tree above the baby by the pond and started squawking. Now I am watching the box for baby # 4 AND watching # 3 to be sure it doesn't fall in. I am thinking that I had the net right there at the pond just in case and that I was sure I could get there before it drowned. I stood there holding my breath hoping baby # 4 would not leave the box and distract Mom from the pond baby. Finally Joe Daddy flew down and pond baby followed him up to a tree. YEA!!!!!!!! Now I don't see # 4 peeking so I look at the TV and the last two are kinda pecking at each other, they must have been making a pact that they would go together because they both hoped up to the hole at the same time. They wrestled around a little then one flew down to the Oak leaf Hydrangea. While Dad met it there the other flew up to the deck railing right in front of me! Mom met (HER) there. Mom was cussing at me through the window so I backed away thinking she might come at me and hit the window. Baby # 5 soon flew up to the tree where 1& 2 had been waiting. I ran down to see if # 4 was still on the Hydrangea,Must have scared it enough for it to fly up to a small maple that was a little too near the road for my comfort. I slowly walked outside and hid behind my car until Mom got it off to a safer tree. By now it is 12:00 and I had to go get rid of all that coffee LOL. I am happy to say that Hussy Momma and Joe Daddy are rounding them all up in the big tree near the mealie feeder (where pond baby flew) and believe it or not Hussy Mamma is doing the tail feather dance in Joe Daddy's face. Yes the water works are on,sob sob sniff. What will Hussy Momma do next? I would love a 3rd nesting but not if these babies are going to be neglected. Time will tell. So now I am off to see if I can find Pops nest out here somewhere,I may have more babies to watch! :D

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County