SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joematt_gw

Is this common?

joematt
12 years ago

I've only had a BB house in my yard for two years. Both years I had two successful nests, each year with 5 and 6 eggs. The second year (this year) the second nest fledged successfully. After a couple of weeks, they parents started renesting for a third set. They built a beautiful nest, visiting it daily..all day long together. They they were gone. Have not seen them in a couple of weeks now.

Last year, they never did really leave me. They came and went all fall and winter long. I do live in Zone 9, the extreme south parts of Louisiana. So Flying south sometimes means coming to my area.

I'm hoping that nothing happened to my first ever BB's.

I didn't think that we even had BB's in the area, until I started getting a pair visit my Purple Martin colony in December and January, before the PM's arrived in February. So I built that little house according to web instructions. Since, I have been responsible for building houses for 7 neighbors and friends in the area. And about half had mating pair this year, with extra birds hanging around.

Now we see BB's regulary on the powerlines overhead and visiting the yard. Neighors are very surprised, as we hav enot had BB's locally for 20 years or more. We remember them as kids, but nothing in later years.

Comments (2)