SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohsoblue77

Update at Site #2: 4 Fledge Successfully

ohsoblue77
12 years ago

Wow you guys, I've been SO busy I haven't hit the forum in weeks! Been wanting to get on but usually when I have active nesting taking place I'm away from the computer.

Anyhow, remember how I mentioned a while back about the box with the HOSP before the blues moved in and layed 4 eggs?

All four hatched and I watched them grow and monitored till around the 14th or 15th day then quit out of fear for a premature fledge. Anyhow they fledged a few days ago and I even heard them calling in the trees! Man how I love to hear that raspy fledgling call! The local HOSP don't seem too happy about it...haha!

Also to note, I had a tragedy at my 2nd box there. I had a nest of 5 TRES babies and 4 were taken overnight on the the 1st week. I was stunned to find one swallow remaining. I also failed to mention that the box was within 8 feet of a tree and mounted on a 2X4 with 4" PVC top to bottom. (Non-wobbling)

However I now have both the blue's prior box and the TRES box mounted on 1" EMT with the 4" PVC baffle. I moved the TRES box several yards away on neighboring property and it now sits in the open away from trees.

BTW,here at home 1 nest of 7 TRES fledged and one of four. the nestbox with 4 has ANOTHER nest of four eggs being incubated. My blues 3rd nest attempt again failed after 14 or so days of incubation. However some days (even cooler ones) Mrs. B did not incubate at all and wasn't seen. They now moved to my other pair of boxes with the TRES and she again has 3 eggs due to hatch on the 11th. BTW I dissected those other 3 that failed to hatch. They were fertile! I found embryos in all of them! Mrs. B's poor incubation must have been to blame as they seemingly died early and I candled them and found blood veins. This is the 4th attempt at my backyard site this season and 4th to have 3 or less eggs. I haven't seen 4 or 5 eggs in a nest here the entire season. I must have a young female.

Sorry for the horrendously long post! I hope everyone is enjoying the last month or two of the nesting season. It goes too fast! This hasn't been a stellar season for me but I'm glad to have witnessed the 4 successfully fledge.

- Tim -

Comments (3)