SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cyn_s

4 eggs but can only see 2 mouths

11 years ago

For those that don't recognize my name, this is my first year at BB-rearing assistance. Mama laid the last of four eggs (of her second brood in this box) 14 days ago. Yesterday I saw hatchlings. Today I took a pic of the interior of the nest b/c the cup is so deep I can't look down in there well - even w/ a dental mirror. There are only two upturned beaks.

We've had a couple of weeks of near or over 100 degrees just like the most of the rest of the country. I didn't think there was anything I could really do to help them w/ the heat, so I've just kept my fingers crossed. Now I'm reading other posts and wondering if the other two eggs are OK, and whether I could have done something. (Her first brood had one egg that never hatched.)

I have two birdbaths in my backyard (the nest box is in the front) but don't know of anywhere around here I can get mealworms. Does anyone have advice about anything at all I should do? Try to determine whether the other two eggs are there? Take them out? Put another bird bath near the box? etc.

Thanx!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County