SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ken3592

Relocating a Nest Box with BB Nestlings?

ken3592
14 years ago

Once again I'm back with some questions. A pair of Bluebirds are currently nesting in a box that isn't particularly safe from predators such as raccoons and cats. I am particularly worried about cats because I have never seen a raccoon or snake in our neighborhood (we don't live by any woods, streams, etc), however there are several cats in our neighborhood. We have two boxes in our yard, one that is safe (on a metal pole, etc), which was originally intended for the Bluebirds, and one that is mounted on a wooden swingset (I know, that's bad), which sparrows usually nested in (kind of like a decoy box..). The Bluebirds however took the one on the swingset because TRES were in the other. So far, all has been well: the nestlings hatched and are 8-9 days old. I am not going to get my confidence up however; I know I should do something to protect them. I just saw Donna's post about it being possible to relocate a box onto the right pole, etc. I didn't think this was a possibility prior to this, so that's why I never did anything.

I am questioning whether I can hammer a pole into the ground about 15-20 feet away from the box's current location and then move the box to the pole. Will the Bluebirds be able to recognize the box in the new location?

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County