SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arleneb

Fledging!! And I saw it!!

arleneb
12 years ago

I can't believe it! I was watching the box because I haven't seen Papa Blue for a couple days . . . and I saw a beak peek out of the opening! Over the next three hours I saw 5 babies fly out . . . there were six fledglings so I assume I missed seeing one. Very exciting! This is the first time I've managed to see it!

Mama and Papa were around much of the morning, feeding and -- it looked like -- teasing with food to encourage the babies to fly. They would poke their heads in the nest box with a bug, then fly to the bird tree still with the bug.

None of the babies flew to the bird tree . . . they went straight up to the roof of the house.

The next-to-last baby sat in the doorway for about 20 minutes . . . finally took off. The last one poked his head out and was gone in about a minute. I guess it was lonely in there without the sibs.

The mockingbirds were hanging around every time the adult blues left, but apparently they didn't bother the babies. Pic of that in another posting!

Anyway, that's 12 new blues in the world from this new box this year! Hoping for another nesting!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (10)