SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blumz_gw

Deadbeat Dad BB ????

blumz
15 years ago

I haven't been on the forum much since the fledging of the 5 BB babies on May 30. On June 18 the first egg of a new batch appeared in the new nest, with an egg a day appearing for the next 3 days. She has been incubating the 4 eggs since around the 21st. The problem is, unlike during the incubation of the former eggs, the male is not coming around to help feed the female. She seems to be doing this all on her own. During the previous incubation period the male would come to the feeder all during the day. He would feed the worms to her before eating any himself. He rarely shows up at all ... usually only in early morning and late afternoon around the time I put out the mealies. But he never eats any. The female eats immediately, but she never takes them all. It's like she's being sure to leave some for him. But even though he perches on the nearby fence, and looks things over, he never eats anything himself. Nor does he take any to feed to her. If they are ever both visible at the same time, they seem to ignore each other. Before there was a lot of interaction between them.

Is it possible he is still off helping the fledglings learn to forage? They never did bring the fledglings back to the feeder, though the adults did take mouthsful of mealies and fly off with them. So I assumed they were feeding the fledglings somewhere.

I feel so bad for the mamma ... like she is a single mom. So I have added an additional feeding time to the day so she can be sure to have plenty to eat. She leaves the nest only occasionally, I assume for a potty break and fresh air, but she always returns alone in a very short time.

It is possible, I guess, that this is a different male and her original partner is dead.

Comments (4)