SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ceilidhbec

Mulch/weeds/cost/too many beds issues

16 years ago

I don't understand mulch. And I certainly never figured on the cost of it when I decided to put in very large areas of landscaping beds. My front yard needs almost 8 yards of mulch to have the recommended 3 to 4 inches of depth. My back yard needs about 12 yards of mulch. Mulch is expensive and it's time consuming to load and to spread. I spread mulch and it looks great for a month or so, then it starts looking tired and worn. I drive by other people's houses and their mulch seems to look great forever. I've tried cedar mulch. I've tried double grind hardwood mulch. I purchased both of those from the former Redenta's Garden Center in Colleyville. I've also had pecan shell mulch which turned my yard into a squirrel buffet the likes of which I never, ever imagined. And in a very short amount of time - 2 or 3 months - the pecan shells bleached out in the sun and looked like white shells on a beach. Not good at all.

Also, I have 3 beds in the front yard - one on either side of the front door plus a figure eight shaped island in the middle - that essentially get no weeds in them. I have 2 other beds that run the length of the front yard that fill with weeds no matter how much I mulch them. Why is that? That's my first question.

My second question is why does other people's mulch look so much better so much longer? And my third question is whether or not everyone realizes how expensive it is to repeatedly mulch these landscape beds, or was I just super naive?

Thanks for any comments or advice!

Karen

Comments (12)