SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaesgarden

Mulching and winter sowing - aggressive weeds

kaesgarden
9 years ago

Any tips given would be fantastic.
This was a post i had posted in composting and mulching and it was suggested posting it here. I'd really like to sow as many seedlings into the earth as possible, i should of put that on top of all the mulch i've purchased i also have bags of steer manure mixed compost. If digging up some of the earth and replacing it would also be suggested before sowing seeds.

We've just purchased this home not to long ago and there's quite large flowering beds front, back and the sides. I've purchased a ton of seeds online as no one here had previously done any real gardening it would seem aside from the roses. In a couple of places I've planted Ipomopsis rubra and they've sprouted and some even have their second set of leaves. I'm hoping that the roots will continue to grow even if the tops die back with the winter peeking around the corner. Should i mulch around those seedlings, very carefully of course.

Also the beds in the front of my home were nothing but chick hens, and i've started to pull up and till for lupine seeds and billy buttons seeds, what i wanted to plant late fall early winter. My question is should i wait until the spring to mulch over that, would the mulch effect the seedlings from sprouting.

Weeds have really run a mock this year but i've loads of other seedlings i plan on fall / winter sowing like gayfeather my blue shrimp plant seeds are a few. I need the mulch no doubt about it but i also dont want to hender their growth if i mulch over them or around them or waited until spring and then mulched after they sprouted?

As you can see i'm lost and any guidance would be lovely. Also i'm trying to decide about the seedlings that are already sprouted.

Thanks, Scarlet

Comments (5)

Sponsored